Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
Mar 27, 2020 (updated Mar 28, 2020)
Are y'all really *this* easily impressed? This album doesn't have a damned unique or even memorable idea in sight, and yet it still has the ability to be indubitably irritating.

Future Nostalgia is absolutely drowning in filler. You could easily remove half of the tracks and the experience would be far easier to stomach. Despite that, Dua opts to stretch this glorified EP to 37 minutes to hit the average pop album run time.

FN is filled with terrible hooks. Good In Bed, Hallucinate, Levitating, and Cool (just to name a few) all have choruses that make Spanish Love Songs' slog from earlier this year seem catchy and fun in comparison. Whenever the hooks don't suck, they're just boring. Absolutely nothing of note.

That seems to be a running theme in Dua Lipa's catalog: a sheer lack of anything interesting. Instead of doing something similar to CRJ and making her throwback sound stand out and boom with creativity, she does...*this*. There is no reason to listen to this over her contemporaries, and while normally that fact alone wouldn't bother me enough to give out a 39, the other problems with this album cause a ten-car-pile-up of suck-age.

EDIT: Okay I clearly didn't communicate this very well but I'm not trying to say that "mUsIc HaS tO bE uNiQuE tO bE gOoD." I'm saying don't be painfully generic. My highest rated album this year is Loathe for christ's sake.
Mar 27, 2020
Half of the album is basically filler
Mar 27, 2020
The entire album is filler with great production
C.L. Jesse is mad online
Mar 27, 2020
"Are y'all really *this* easily impressed?" i sure am
same @nijakiler17
Mar 27, 2020
You don't gotta be a dick to the folks who like the album. Usually the stans rush the scores first, the numbers inevitably come down once some other perspectives come in to balance it out.
Mar 27, 2020
You're indubitably a self-centred jackass
Mar 27, 2020
“music has to be unique to be good” gang has arrived

because fuck engineering, themes, performance and production quirks, i guess
Mar 27, 2020
grimes retarted fanbase never change
Mar 27, 2020
I wanna huge you SO SO MUCH. And even still, people have the nerve to compare it to Confessions on the Dance Floor.
SAY IT LOUDER!!
Mar 27, 2020
You really forced to do this, right? hahahha
Mar 27, 2020
I honestly disagree with you, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. I really enjoyed the album haha but it's prolly just because I'm a pophead
Mar 27, 2020
grimes retarded fan base never change
Mar 27, 2020
@matteo but like there is no reason to state that. Neither does it matter since the best reviewers/reviews are in a majority to say this is good. Pretty much what I mean is that other opinions matter and the majority matters. This review means nothing if it isn't the majority.

Please, someone don't try to make this political lol.
Mar 27, 2020
Some art pop artist must've really spoiled Jesse for him to express this opinion
Mar 27, 2020
I go to sleep and I wake up to 16 comments. Half of which are reasonable and I'm perfectly fine with the disagreement/agreement of. The others telling me I'm wrong for having a take different than theirs or that I'm somehow spoiled (or that I need to agree with the majority???). Some of y'all ought to grow up a bit lol
Mar 27, 2020
Although I will say @matteo I wasnt trying to make it come off like I was attacking the fans of this album. I'm 100% fine with somebody liking or disliking the record, my writing style is just fairly snarky, so I started my review like that. Sorry for the irritation
Mar 28, 2020
I mean the score isn’t that high also a not unique album can be good lol
Mar 28, 2020
An album doesn’t have to change music as we know it to be a good album...
Mar 28, 2020
Answering your first question, yes.
Mar 28, 2020
>I'm not saying music has to be unique to be good, all I'm saying is that dua lipa's music has to be unique to be good
C.L. Jesse is mad online
Mar 28, 2020
you say you didnt mean for it to come off as an attack on people who like it yet your first sentence is a direct attack at people who do
Mar 29, 2020
guess everyone's pretty much easily impressed, then. not only users are raving about this, but critics are also loving it. it is an amazing pop record, one that definitely stands out amongst her contemporaries, and it's okay if you don't like it.
one question lingers, though: are you really *this* entitled?
Mar 29, 2020
had a little look at your profile and u gave pure heroine a 3/10 so this is automatically invalid :/
Mar 31, 2020
I agree!
Apr 4, 2020
@infatuation people have opinions you know
Apr 5, 2020
I think for a pop record, it hits the nail. Like its suppose to be catchy,fun and itsnt suppose to be serious.
Apr 7, 2020
the home of phobia snapped
May 17, 2020
You just have terrible taste in music. its not the generic modern shit you listen to these days
18h ago
@musiccritic2020 you’re funny. wanna chat🤪 click here for hot singles in your area