Phoenix - United
Jun 4, 2021
[RETURN TO MY PAST ~ EPISODE 10:]

Bit of a jarring shift after P!ATD, but I supposed this wouldn't be a C.L. Jesse project without complete and utter inconsistency!

Also, just as a heads up, this band is gonna be a bit weird to go through. That's because I had only listened to this, WAP (yes that's actually the fucking acronym and I'm upset about it) and Bankrupt, so there's gonna be some time jumps.

With that out of the way, there's one word that perfectly describes United: amateur. Thomas Mars sounds as awkward as ever, the production is barebones, and the songs aren't nearly as well-defined or as catchy as they are on later releases. I can appreciate the bedroom pop vibe Phoenix achieve on this record (especially on "If I Ever Feel Better") but at the same time, this aesthetic heavily clashes with tracks like "Funky Squaredance" that attempts a more, for lack of a better word, funky style (and frankly, fails miserably by being a meandering 9 minute trainwreck). It's honestly hard to even come up with shit to say about United because it's not particularly interesting. There are a few songs I like (hence the 60) but as a whole, this is a footnote in 2000's pop rock.

FAVORITES: Too Young | If I Ever Feel Better | Party Time