Lingua Ignota - Caligula
Feb 16, 2020 (updated Feb 25, 2020)
This is a labyrinth of an album. The unpredictable twists, turns, loops, and surprises take you on a journey that its eerie, frightening, yet beautiful in retrospect. However, after its runtime, you find yourself in the same place as before. It's as if Ignota wants to get out of the chaos, only to be pulled back into the darkness she so desperately tried to crawl out of.

A truly haunting experience. I've never listened to anything so emotionally potent in my life. She has amazing control on the reigns of this album, being able to effortlessly pull back from the hellish, blood-curling screams into an angelic harmony of vocals intertwined with soft piano melodies. Despite its repetitive, simplistic lyrics, it vividly paints a story that leaves you uncomfortable. It honestly doesn't feel like an hour has passed due to the sheer amount of material that's hit you throughout its runtime.

I'm only writing this review after listening to it once, but I think the lack of replayability shows what kind of album this is. It force feeds you all of this emotion and energy, and is meant to respectably be laid to rest afterwards. Even though it loops back to the beginning of the album, you've already had more than enough on your plate to go back through that journey again. Definitely recommend that you sit down and really absorb what this project has to offer. Listen with a friend if you don't want to shit yourself.
Feb 16, 2020