Magdalena Bay - Mercurial World
Oct 7, 2021
Get in, loser; we’re going to Mercurial World!

Prior to hearing the singles to this album, I wrongly assumed Magdalena Bay was just another throwaway pop group. However, I still decided to give them a chance with the track “Chaeri”, and it honestly blew me away! It didn’t do anything groundbreaking or new, but it’s execution felt so lively and grandiose that I could care less. The band continued to lure me into the hype with each new single being consistently great, and suddenly this album became one of my most anticipated albums this year. Needless to say, my expectations were very high.

And, I’m happy to say, not only does it live up to the hype, but it completely skyrockets my already high expectations past the ozone layer!

This album is very full and very fluid, with many songs transitioning into other songs seamlessly. It feels like one giant carnival ride through Mercurial World, and it pulls off this immersion very well. All the songs use relatively the same sound palette, but they all use them in unique ways to keep the full listen exciting. Song tracks, like “You Lose” flourish in more distortion and almost grunge-like elements, while tracks like “Hysterical Us” blossom in more poppy and clean elements, and yet if you played these tracks side by side to me, they wouldn’t sound out of place. They both sound like they could inhabit the same world without posing a threat to each other’s survival.

Mica Tenenbaum’s vocals are fantastic too. Her voice sounds like it’s gliding through each song like an independent tail of wind that wants to explore the world.

This album plays by the rules to a tee, but it doesn’t use that as an excuse to sound boring or uninspired. Most of the tracks in this album are executed to near perfection, and at the end of the day, execution is more important than the idea that inspires it. None of the tracks overstay their welcome, and they all ebb and flow into a seamless, water-right listen.

While listening to this album, I feel like I’m literally transported in Mercurial World, and every single time I never want it to end.
Oct 8, 2021
yaaaassss we queens love fagdalena bay