Poppy - I Disagree
Jan 10, 2020
I think I'm still a bit conflicted with my feelings for this. All of the singles are incredibly strong in their own right, and leading the album off with them to hook the listener is a really smart move. The rest of the album is still solid, but it doesn't match up to the unbridled energy that the first four songs have, along with the seamlessly woven and brilliant lyrics. I don't think that Nothing I Need even remotely fit in with the rest of the project and definitely derailed my experience. I think that the metal and dream pop type thing really works well, especially considering that when she wants to, Poppy can have a genuine bite to her voice.

I'm not one to call anything a gimmick, but what I will say is that at some points, I felt like the point was putting a dark message and instrumentation against light and airy vocals, and that in itself is something that I think is a bit shallow when trying to evoke the emotions that Poppy and her team are obviously going for.

That being said, I don't know how I'll feel on revisit, but at this point, I'd say that it's pretty good, and Sick of the Sun will be on repeat for at least the next day.
Comments