Sleep - Dopesmoker
Feb 26, 2020
I finally got around to listening to this record and I don’t really get the hype. I typically only hear about Dopesmoker when people are talking about really long songs since the first of the two tracks on this album is over an hour long. Maybe it’s that I'm not the most knowledgeable/biggest fan of drone metal as a whole (I love Boris though).

The hour long “Dopesmoker” title track grabbed my attention at first, but couldn’t keep me engaged throughout its lengthy runtime. The guitar riffs, while sonically pleasing, go on and on and on and are repeated during multiple parts of the song and it bothers me. The vocals are also pretty laughable for the most part with how over the top and indecipherable they are. Like I got no clue what the man is saying, but whatever.

The second and final track, Holy Mountain, is solid, but the quality is a little rough. Perhaps it’s a live performance, I don’t know. Overall, Dopesmoker is album that I respect for its uniqueness but my enjoyment of it is lower than most due to the repetition and vocal performances that I’m not the biggest fan of. It’s pretty decent background music though, despite there being much better alternatives in my opinion.
Feb 27, 2020
you have to get high (preferably heroin but sharpies are fine) to enjoy it. you will never understand true music like this collin.
Feb 27, 2020
@oppressedwaifu makes sense to me
amw100