Sufjan Stevens - Lamentations
Apr 18, 2021
Woah, this is wayyy better than Meditations!

Lamentations is a very interesting, complex, and emotion-filled progressive electronic release from the one and only Sufjan. Not gonna lie, I was expecting and am still expecting Convocations (The 5LP Compilation) to be mid. I dunno why, but Sufjan just out of the blue dropping a 5-part ambient album comes off as obnoxious. He's basically my favourite artist, but an instrumental Suf doesn't sound all that great, even though he did pull it off on Enjoy your Rabbit. Nah but EYR was Glitch and IDM. This is ambient.

A lot of the tracks on Meditations were too boring. They were overly simplistic and made sense for a someone releasing 5 albums in the span of a month. (Seriously, 5 sufjan albums in one month?!) Lamentations is what was heard on Meditations but just more eerie, akward, and generally unsure. Sufjan said this album is to be a reflection on the past year of 2020, and yeah this is a pretty good representation of that.

I'm not sure, but I think I hear microtones in the music, which is always fun. Other than that, we have complex synths running over and over each other. Still has the same boring problem, but arguably the entire genre of ambient has the problem.

In conclusion, I don't really think this is a must listen, and I don't really recommend it, but still. I'm quite happy it isn't as bad as I expected, and is actually quite the interesting listen.
Comments