AURORA - A Different Kind Of Human (Step II)
Jun 7, 2019 (updated Jun 14, 2019)
Don't listen to @thomasny18, he's just a meanie.

I was caught on to AURORA late last year after I heard her incredible single, Forgotten Love, which I would highly recommend checking out. That single belonged to her 2018 project, Infections Of A Different Kind, which took on a very Art Pop oriented style. The instrumentation was beautiful, and her voice is something that can not be ignored. Coming into this project, I was excited to hear more of that art pop style we heard from her in the first 'step' of these albums.

However, this album seems to be a bit more focused on single potential rather than a tying concept that I felt was there in the IOADK. While they still take on AURORA's signature sound, there is more of a bright, poppy sound to it which, at times, feels out of place. Some cuts on the album even feel like blatant attempts from AURORA to try and get that top 40s pop sound, with tracks like Hunger and Apple Seed sticking out pretty bad in the tracklisting.

Despite this, she still maintains the same level of consistency that she brought about on IOADK, and this is still a solid project overall. Cuts like The River, Animal, Soulless Creatures, and The Seed are standouts that showcase everything that AURORA's music is about at its heart; beautiful and delicate instrumentation, interesting lyrics, and a pristine voice. While not one of the most noteworthy projects of 2019 so far, and in my opinion an album that isn't as good as her 2018 release, AURORA still delivers a solid and mostly consistent release that I would recommend anyone with an affinity for art pop check out!
Comments