Playboi Carti - @ MEH
Dec 24, 2020
I'm super sorry but this is my least favorite song of the year.
Playboi Carti drops a single and since I wanted to know what all the hype was about, I listened to it as soon as it dropped. I listened to it again and again, making sure that my ears were working. Was this the Playboi Carti that everyone was hyping up? I initially thought that Playboi Carti wasn't a rapper who rapped in English when I listened to the song. When I went to Genius to look up the lyrics, just to confirm my assumption, I was shocked to see that everything was in English. This made me super frustrated because I've always been able to understand many mumble rappers lyrics, but Carti wasn't even a mumble rapper according to many of my friends which made this even more puzzling. The vocals from Carti were baby-like, being very bad on this specific song, although a lot better on Pain 1993. The production was probably the only reason for why I rated this as high as a 19, with Jetsonmade building a spacy, bouncy beat that was ruined a little by the counter-melodies although it was still kind of solid. I've got nothing to say about the lyrics cause I sadly couldn't understand anything. I'm hoping that I can learn Cartinese before Christmas! Overall, I hope that all the Playboi Carti fans understand why I think that this was the worst song of the year and can respect my opinion! I'm still hyped for 'Whole Lotta Red', hopefully it isn't as awful as this single, turning out to be a beautiful present for Christmas instead!
Dec 24, 2020
Just to let everyone know, this isn't a meme review even though it may seem like it. Those were my exact and actual reactions to the song and are still my thoughts on the song. Still Hyped for 'Whole Lotta Red' though! :(
😔
@Flamingo I'm so sorry! :(
Dec 25, 2020
I will forgive u if u give good rating to WLR
Dec 25, 2020
@pizzagrande I'm so sorry! WLR didn't live up to all the hype, but I gave a much higher rating and thought it was actually an amazing album! :)
Dec 30, 2020
how cry how
Dec 30, 2020
@TomBejoy lol it's just bad
Jan 23, 2021
@Cry it's so fun though

I think carti isnt meant to be taken seriously, I had the same woes with him in 2019 but the whole of last year changed my opinion on him. Hes a smart artist with some good producers
Jan 23, 2021
@TomBejoy but why is mumbling fun only when Carti does it? I understand that this is just a song to have fun to, but I really don't understand a word, which is weird when it's supposed to be in English. Songs like 'Turks' hype me up more with the bars, so I prefer those kinda songs to have fun to. :)
Jan 24, 2021
@Cry The high pitched shit is a vibe tbh. Nav's flow is way more paltry than Playboi carti. One of my major issues with nav is that he says the game wouldnt be shit without him in his music, which is false, while carti knows he's a weird oddball "they cant understand me im speaking hieroglyphics" "bought a crib for my mom off that mumblin shit"
Jan 24, 2021
@Cry Carti is the stop gap between hyperpop and trap. It's not Lil Uzi but its not Dorian Electra either
Jan 24, 2021
@Cry the production on carti albums are first class, and he has a very unique sounds, only second to young thug in the high pitched melodic trap sphere. His flows are pretty damn good and he has some catchy hooks on die lit and pretty awkward yet funny bars on whole lotta red
Jan 24, 2021
One of the best examples is Beam by Playboi Carti and rich brian, where brian drops bars but carti carries by far. He can glide over any beat for some reason, look at his verses on almeda and earfquake
Jan 24, 2021
Like look at choppa wont miss. Most rappers dont make songs with that amount of energy without going all deep voiced lmao
Jan 24, 2021
@TomBejoy I get what you're saying but I still think that there are a lot more rappers who get you hyped up. NLE Choppa has been doing it since he came in the game and he doesn't have a deep voice, pretty normal voice which a wonderful amount of energy. Gunna got great production too and is an artist that I love to vibe to, although he isn't really a hype artist. I'm pretty sure NAV is talking abt the come up of other brown boys in the rap industry when he says that lol, or maybe production wise cause I agree, he hasn't really done anything to change the game like Carti did.
Jan 24, 2021
@TomBejoy I prefer Lil Uzi Vert and Young Thug compared to Carti cause I can understand them, plus the production that they rap on can hype you up without the need of any energy. An example is 'Hot' by Young Thug where Gunna and Thug slide over the stunning wheezy production, hyping me up in the process. Thug has also shown his ability on features such as 'FRANCHISE', where he does an arguably better job than Travis at hyping you up. Uzi isn't really a rapper I listen to so I can hyped, just for a fun vibe with his unique squeky voice. I mean if production matters a ton, just listen to any Metro Boomin or Wheezy project, or even BandPlay project. They all have some hard beats that contain a crazy amount of hype.
Jan 24, 2021
Gotta admit that his feature on Earfquake is excellent! I also like his feature on 'Pain 1993' unlike others. Never knew he worked with Rich Brian, might have to check that out! :)
Jan 24, 2021
@Cry I kinda admit to that, and I thought your Whole Lotta Red score made sense because thats the publc opinion, but I dk about this track that much. I have heard much worse from artists like AJR, Justin Bieber, Conan Gray, 6ix9ine, Blackbear,Yungblud and Joyner lucas
Jan 24, 2021
I personally think one of the issues with NLE Choppa is that he never had enough variation, and when artists like him, dababy and more try to switch up their styles they fumble a bit. Also NLE's latest project, while a bit overhated, had some very corny bars on it.
Jan 24, 2021
Young thug is miles better than Carti in my opinion, but Carti has proven himself as a more potent artist than Uzi as Uzi is on the fall off as of late, two of his last three projects have been average to me whereas I have enjoyed 90 percent of thugga and carti's work.
Jan 24, 2021
This is a good debate but I wanted to ask you if you checked out the discographies i asked you to 🙃 cant wait to see your opinion on some of those tbh. Eespecially kanye and injury reserve
Jan 24, 2021
@TomBejoy Yupp, might be worse tracks but this was just part of the list I guess lol. NLE Choppa is working on the vairation lately so I'm excited to see what he cooks up for his next project. DaBaby might be going back to his rapping roots on his next project which I'm fine with I guess. Yeah, Uzi's projects were worse than WLR for sure as you can even see my review for the Pluto X Baby Pluto review and how I didn't like it.
Jan 24, 2021
Yeah, this was a fun debate as I've always wonder what a Carti fan liked abt him and you made some fantastic points. I'm trying hard to get through some discographies, but the time it take me to review something is sooo long lol, so probably in March, I will be checking them out!! Hyped to listen to Kanye and Injury Reserve! :)