Tory Lanez - DAYSTAR
Sep 25, 2020 (updated Sep 26, 2020)
I chose to listen to 'DAYSTAR', as it was a surprise project dropped to respond to everything that happened with the shooting that happened involving Megan and himself. He surely had a lot to say and it can be seen with this album, showing every single emotion that he felt over the past few months. I'm reviewing this album based on only the music as I have no idea on what actually happened on the night of the shooting.

The vocals on the project are spectacular with amazing aggressive vocals while rapping and soothing, stunning vocals while singing, doing a perfect job in balancing both types of vocals. The vocals while rapping weren't his best, but they were still good enough and were easily better than a lot of other rappers. He's one of the only rappers that can SNAP when he wants to as can be seen on tracks like 'The Most High' and 'Sorry But I Had To...'. I never knew that Tory could sing but it was so relaxing, similar to The Weeknd's style of singing. He's better than a ton of singers as can be seen on tracks like 'A Women' and 'Look How GOD Works', and that isn't even his best aspect in terms of vocals which just makes it more fascinating. The singing on this project really gave the variety that his previous projects were missing, making 'DAYSTAR' one of the only Tory Lanez projects that didn't ever get stale at any point, in terms of vocals. Overall, the project had the flashy rapping that Tory is known for along with the hidden talent of Tory which was fantastic singing.

The production on the project was surprisingly perfect, something I never expected for a Tory Lanez album. The production didn't lack in any aspect and was amazing throughout the album. The drums were the part that made the production extraordinary while the insturmental played the background which worked well. Every time the drums came in, it felt like an event and elevated the song to a whole different level. I could tell that the production was worked on very carefully as there were tiny details which made huge differences. The production was pretty different to the beats that Tory has rapped on before and were way more focused on the factor that made sure that Tory stood out and not the beat. Tracks like 'Broke in a Minute' were tracks that depended on the beat to carry Tory while this project was the exact opposite with all the tracks depending completely on Tory's talent to add a lot to the beats. I didn't really recognize any of the producers, probably because they were new ones but that could be a reason for why all the beats sounded so refreshing. Overall, the production was excellent, especially for a Tory Lanez album, and it really made the album quite enjoyable.

The lyrics were easily some of the best lyrical albums of the year, covering almost everything from his situation plus tons more. 'DAYSTAR' seemed to not just cover all the small details from what's happening to him because of the shooting but also shed light on bigger problems such as police brutality and BLM. People might say that was to distract people from the situation with Megan but I feel like he covered it completely and maybe even in excess, and when he was done talking about that, he chose to talk about world problems which was nice to see. I felt like there were tons of great messages that he made sure that people understood and it really made me think in a different way. The flows on the other hand weren't even close to the catchy flows that he was usually often know for which was confusing as Tory usually seemed to easily be able to produce great flows, but I understand that he was trying to put more attention on the lyrics than make the songs catchy so I understand why the flows seemed to be so underwhelming. The entire track, 'Money Over Fallouts' was the best song to address the situation out of the entire album and was easily one of the best tracks lyrically of the year. Additionally, the outro on the closing song, 'Life', had had a message that really effected me in a positive way and put me in his shoes to help me realize how he felt currently. The song, 'Sorry But I Had To', was a track that dissed everyone that turned their back on him, even after all that he did for them, claiming 'that they did that with knowing what actually happened that day', but I felt like it was unnecessary even though that was one of the best rapping performances in all aspects on the album. Tory even managed to talk about having a crush on Kylie, people removing him from their projects, and owning masters on the album, which is a problem that artists like Kanye are facing, which really surprised me as he must've taken a ton of time to think about all of this and put it in 'DAYSTAR'. Overall, Tory does a terrific job at creating lyrics that actually have meaning to them without wasting any time, letting everything that he had to say over the past few months flow in his music.

Tory did a great job using this album to create an 'image' to seem like he's innocent, but I didn't like him capitalizing on the situation, innocent or not. People may say that Tory doesn't deserve anything and we shouldn't give him the attention that he wants but this album made me realize that we cancel people out too quickly without listening to their point of view. I ain't supporting Tory but it was just a random thought that I had while listening to the album, which was one thing that the lyrics really made me think of. At the end of the day, I may never know what happened but musically, I loved this album. The album was great at addressing controversies, world problems, and everything else in between which I haven't seen an artist do in quite a while. Artists like 6ix9ine did the opposite of what Tory did, which was not address the situation in detail, which was probably why their music was terrible.

Overall, 'DAYSTAR' is Tory Lanez's masterpiece (best project that he'll create ever probably) because of the heavenly singing vocals, the hard-hitting rapping vocals, the pleasant surprise in quality of production, and brilliant lyrics in every aspect and was a stunning surprise drop that I wasn't expecting.

Note: I do not know the exact details about the situation including Megan Thee Stallion and Tory Lanez so I have no thoughts on the situation. Violence isn't tolerable and I am against any act of violence. I did not take in consideration, Tory's point of view in the album review, because I don't know the details of the situation like I mentioned. I just liked the music, not his point of view. This review is completely only about the music on the album like I mentioned at the start of the review.
mhm
Sep 25, 2020
its a good review. i actually like a few tory tracks but have never heard a megan song I enjoyed.
Sep 25, 2020
it's sad how so many people are gonna judge it without hearing his lyrics. staying misinformed to blindly cancel this dude singing from his soul. it's whatever though. the album's good, and i'll cherish it
DIDN'T READ LMAO
Sep 25, 2020
doesn't sound too bad for me from samples. nice to see an open minded review
damn im happy for you
or sorry that happened
Sep 26, 2020
@TomBejoy lol, I understand your points and they all make perfect sense. I don't know why I like this project so much but this was my second time listening to a Tory project (the first time was 'The New Toronto 3' which wasn't very good, but 'DAYSTAR' is a huge step forward musically). Yeah, disrespecting women is never tolerable and is not cool like you mentioned. Thank You! :)
Sep 26, 2020
@snowman Thank you so much! :)
Sep 26, 2020
@spiritstudent exactly, I just judged the album on its lyrics/music. I haven't even listened to a lot of Tory's music. It's a great piece of work if you just pay attention to the music/lyrics, and nothing else.
Sep 26, 2020
@KIDWITHGUNs lol, it's a big review
Sep 26, 2020
@beetlebat Thank you so much! :)
Sep 26, 2020
@guseeghosts love the positive comment lol. :)
Sep 26, 2020
didn't read all that. im happy for you tho. or sorry that happened.
Sep 26, 2020
@NationalsPrideHat I know the review is pretty long. Love the positive comment again lol! :)
Sep 26, 2020
@TomBejoy lol who's dissing me? I'm used to getting dissed all my life, so it doesn't really make a difference. I may not like the man, but I do like the music on this album. This a music-reviewing site so all I'm doing is rating the music without thinking abt the supposedly terrible/horrible person, who made it. I guess I might delete the review later if people really hate the review. Thank you for telling me tho! :)
@TomBejoy I'm learning to tune out the hate and negativity like NLE Choppa
Sep 26, 2020
@TomBejoy That's actually a good idea but the people who gave it a zero should turn it into NR cause this a music-reviewing site and they aren't rating the music a zero. I'm going to add the edit for now which is an amazing idea but I'll think abt changing the rating an NR later. Thank you so much for the idea! :)
Sep 26, 2020
@Cry hey bud I know you have good intentions at heart by saying that you rate it solely off the music, I understand that you don't want to stir up even more controversy. But in my humble opinion, this is a narrative album with Tory Lanez's point of view, and hence, the incident with Megan Thee Stallion which is heavily mentioned in this album, is part of the music. And some people are rating the album 0 because they believe that this album is coming from bad intentions, and that Tory is trying to manipulate people to believe his "victim mentality" narrative. Hence they believe that this is an album that deserves a 0 score.
However, I do want to clarify that I'm not blaming you at all, if you like the music, it's totally fine, and if you want to share it, it's totally cool.
Sep 26, 2020
@eliiscool5 Thank you so much for explaining!! Yeah, I completely understand why people are giving it a zero, his point of view which he uses to manipulate people to make them think that he's 'innocent' mixes in with the music which is why people give it a zero. Like you mentioned, I tried to rate the album only based on the music, and not on the situation because I don't know enough to comment abt it, but it seems to not have worked based on your explanation as his point of view has clashed with the music. :( Thank you so much for respecting my opinion and taking your time to explain everything abt why people are giving it a zero! :)
Sep 26, 2020
I just wanna leave it in the comments that I do not support any violence or disrespect against women and I just liked the musical aspects to the music. I did not take in consideration, Tory's point of view in the album review, because I don't know the details of the situation like I mentioned. I just liked the music, not his point of view.
Sep 26, 2020
It's all good my guy, you're really open towards others' opinions and kind to others and I truly appreciate you on the site!
Sep 26, 2020
I appreciate you being a great member on the website, and pointing out my mistake so I could make things a bit more clear and explaining things that I didn't understand. Thank you so much againnn!!
Sep 26, 2020
@TomBejoy if you think Tory just rips off Drake you can't be a serious hip hop fan, Tory has already demonstrated the ability to be a better singer AND rapper than Drake (lyrically and its not even close) no one can beat Drake at making hits that isnt a realistic expectation but if you're actually a RAP fan you understand the difference, kind of like how no matter how much Drake sells he still loses to a Pusha T in RAP....look I know everyone's up in arms about the drama behind this album but having listened to the music i think its a great album it especially stands out in an era where ppl think ppl like lil Uzi etc are 'good' rappers, imo your understanding of what is rap is limited and Tory Lanez's ability to basically rap and sing in any kind of way actually puts him above Drake musically speaking....but yeah
Sep 26, 2020
@TomBejoy additionally if you want to be a rap fan and also want to complain about misogyny i'm not sure rap is for you, even though i agree with that sentiment, this is a case of 'this is not for you' because not everyone has to be for you....even though you believe that because you're part of this PC culture, i imagine you alos would not be able to handle the comedians of the past, or its very likely that Chappelle offends you as well....sometimes things are not for you simple as that, it does not mean the rest of us who can handle it are doing these things, much like a movie if you can't separate art from reality you probably should not be watching....
Sep 26, 2020
BRUHHHH.... Great review. Very accurate.... but..... you're one of the few that didn't know Tory sings!?!?!?! That's far from new or a hidden talent.
Sep 27, 2020
@iamykgani Yeah, I didn't know because I'm kinda new to Tory's music. :( I've only listened to 'The New Toronto 3' and 'DAYSTAR', but anyways that singing voice is sooo good. Thank you so much!! :)
Sep 27, 2020
Fuck yea bruh stand yo ground,dumb drama don't matter.
Sep 27, 2020
@Scre4meh Thank you so much!! :)
Sep 27, 2020
@TomBejoy exactly, completely agree. He had some great tracks like 'Broke in a Minute' and 'Accidents Happen'.
itscase