AOTY 2022
Kid Cudi - Do What I Want
Jun 17, 2022
'Do What I Want' is Kid Cudi's lead single to his upcoming album that releases along with his Netflix show of the same name, 'Entergalactic'. The vocals from Kid Cudi are kinda creative but underwhelming as he's lately been using a rough vocal effect, as can be seen on the chorus of this track and previously on his feature on Pusha T's album, sounding a little rusty this time around, opposite of the satisfying effect that he came out with last time while the rest of his vocals on the track sound tired and tedious, failing to capture my attention. The production from Take a Daytrip has some spacy themes but has many conflicting counter melodies which makes me confused, with the drums being the best part of the production, sounding quite crunchy. The lyrics are decent as Kid Cudi promotes living a free life, not being held back by anything, detailing the life of a superstar, carrying the confidence on the chorus while referencing to his Man on the Moon trilogy here and there. Kid Cudi sadly can't do what he wants as he just doesn't sound comfortable on bangers like this, coming off boring as I'd rather take a heartfelt song from him any day over anything like this. Overall, 'Do What I Want' is a decent druggy banger at best but it doesn't capture any of the spice I was expecting in the sound space covered, sadly sounding dead deep down.
Play This On