Liz Phair - Soberish
Jun 6, 2021
FAVORITE TRACK: Spanish Doors

LEAST FAVORITE TRACK: Hey Lou

In 2003, Liz Phair released her big pop rock single "Why Can't I?". It was her big mainstream hit but before that, Phair was a prominent performer in the women-led rock scene in the 90s. In 2010, she went silent with new releases. After 11 years of silence, Phair is back with 13 new tracks.The difference in her sound was prominent between her releases in 1993 and 2003, so it would be interesting to hear what a difference of 11 years would make.

Spanish Doors and The Game have 2000s coming of age movie feel to it. I really enjoy that on these tracks and it reminds me a lot of 2003-ish Phair. The album after that feels like it takes a swift turn for the worse. A lot of these songs just sound like mundane adult soft rock. It works on some tracks like Good Side that adds a nice instrumental to make it more lively, but Hey Lou and Sheridan Side just sound so lifeless. The very soft aspect of country music is apparent on Soberish but it really doesn't click on a lot of other tracks. The lyrics on Ba Ba Ba and Soberish are alright. They are very adult-based which makes sense- they're just a little boring. Soul Sucker is a sexy track though with pretty decent instrumentals and a great vocal performance from Phair.

Soberish is an adult outlook on life from Liz Phair. However, the album does feel a bit soft in content and really pushes towards an audience of suburban wine moms. It's not a terrible record, it's just for a very specific audience that is unique for Liz Phair and one that I'm not apart of.

Also Bad Kitty is comedy gold but I don't know if that's intentional.
Comments