Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy
Nov 24, 2016
Fundamentally, I’m writing this from the premise that Emerson, Lake & Palmer [ELP] are a Theatric Rock band and not a Progressive Rock band. I could certainly contend that with the application of rock treatments of classical music that alone should qualify them as a Prog Rock band, but, I disagree. This “Progressive Rock” trio may have composed a few classic Prog Rockish sounding tunes… Think, ‘Lucky Man’ or ‘Still… You Turn Me On’ but there is little else to support the Prog label. Fill a large music venue with adoring teenage fans and watch Emerson spin round and round while they belt out their silly songs… Hardly the stuff of Progressive Rock especially when you consider that at the time, Robert Fripp and his King Crimson were raging quietly just outside of the mainstream. By the way, both songs mentioned are Greg Lake compositions and demonstrate the influence Fripp & Sinfield had over his song writing via his brief stint as a member of King Crimson. [Draws a deep breath]… With all that being shared, the remastering of ‘Trilogy’ is welcomed by the diehard fans. For me, honest friends, isn’t it obvious by now how I’m not one of those guys? Here’s my suggestion: If you can tolerate goofy music such as the ‘Hoedown’ track and have a liking for theatrical rock music, then buy the 2016 Jakko Jakszyk remastered edition. Otherwise, go down to the local library and find out if the Prog Rock influenced librarian bought it in order to relive their fading memory of Keith Emerson spinning wildly on his [underutilized] synths & keys as if that was the most incredible feat ever attempted by a rock musician! Thank goodness for the public library system near you!!
daFigz's Tags