Earl Sweatshirt - solace
Jan 14, 2020
Mini Review:

I can’t believe I’m only getting around to this project now. I’m at a loss for words, honestly. I’ve no idea how much ’Solace’ would have drained from me emotionally if I hadn’t already fallen in love with ‘Some Rap Songs.’ This is a tragedy piece, highlighting when Earl’s relationship with his mother was at perhaps it’s most sour point, having him on the brink as he had no one to turn to. And wow, it’s heart-wrenching watching him lays his heart on the line for 10 minutes through verse and through musicality. Similar to the album to follow, this has beats that are just as fragmented and broken as Earl’s flow and life. As a result, ‘Solace’ works expertly from a thematic standpoint, being crushingly dark. And the fact each section is divided into parts as opposed to songs is very fitting. Given Earl’s attachment to abstract jazz music (that would be more prominent on ‘SRS’), the EP works in movements, flowing more as a singular song. That’s why my only real critique for an otherwise perfect project is this: why don’t the parts flow together as one? It seems like such a missed opportunity. If parts one through five all transitioned into one another, this may have been my favorite ‘song’ ever. I will however give this somewhat of a pass since it makes ‘Solace’ feel fragmented just as its individual parts are, making the choice fitting conceptually. So who knows; maybe I’m nitpicking. Regardless, easily the best EP I’ve ever heard.

Comments