Earl Sweatshirt - SICK!
Jan 14, 2022 (updated Jan 14, 2022)
(1/14: If you’re already unironically rating or reviewing this, I don’t trust you. I’m personally gonna have to sit with this for awhile; one listen is nowhere near enough. Need another listen or twenty to absorb everything.)

EDIT 1: Two listens in, and all I can say for certain now is that this album is pretty damn good. When the lyrics are all available and accurate, I’m sure I’ll be able to get a better grasp on my feelings toward it, though. Earl has some of the best penmanship in music currently and trying to rate or review something of his off aesthetic alone (or God forbid incorrect lyrics) is unfeasible to me. That said, the few standout lines I can make out are pretty great, my favorite so far being that one in “God Laughs” where he uses “whalers/wailers” as a double entendre. It, along with “2010,” “Vision,” “Tabula Rasa,” “Lye,” “Titanic” and “Fire in the Hole” are my early favorites, but that’s all subject to change. I do like every song here regardless, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Until I can really delve into every line on this record, I’ll have to keep it on rotation.

EDIT 2: Alright, I’ve listened to this record about twelve times now and think I’ve taken the necessary time to assess ‘Sick!’ properly. While it doesn’t have a personal connection with me like SRS does and though it isn’t as boundary pushing, this record shines in its own way. It’s not exactly as cohesive as its predecessor, but it’s highlights will be on repeat for me much more. “Tabula Rasa,” “2010” and “Vision” especially. It’s just a really well-produced, really creative and really diverse 24 minutes and something I’ll be listening to a lot this year. It’s no surprise Earl released yet another great album, but it is nice nevertheless.

talk yo shit
Jan 14, 2022
you're allowed to review and change it after
Jan 14, 2022
idk about y'all but i got this album a few hours ago
Jan 14, 2022
i mean it’s probably going to just grow on people more down the future, that typically happens with Earl
Exactly wtf it's been out for 40 minutes
Jan 14, 2022
I fine with people rating if they come back. I wanted to rate it though this is such a heavy listen to me I just gotta wait and decide.
Jan 14, 2022
yeah facts man chill with the heat, albums grow on people over time but first impressions are still important
Jan 14, 2022
first impressions are for trend music man not lyrical literature
Jan 14, 2022
It all depends on the person. If you're well accustomed to the sound of abstract/experimental hip hop, there wasn't that much to take in. I've been following most of the people that have already posted reviews for a while. From their past reviewing activity you can tell that they're used to the sound, and again this wasn't that left field to where you'd have to be taking in the album in for a longer period of time.