FKA twigs - MAGDALENE
Dec 7, 2019
I have mixed feelings surrounding MAGDALENE. On one hand, I love the glitchy, cerebral electronic production of sad day and fallen alien, but I just can't see myself replaying many of these songs in the future. I definitely appreciate the complex, beautiful performance FKA twigs creates with this album, but its message and style just feels like it's lacking something. twigs' vocal range is extremely impressive, reaching high into her upper register on a number of tracks, and is complimented by the instrumentals perfectly. But tracks like daybed and cellophane are placed strangely at the end of the album together, and as two softer cuts showcasing mostly just her voice, they're understated and flat closing moments that just feel anticlimactic. home with you and sad day are the only two tracks I would return to with earnest, just for the gorgeous songwriting alone, but it would be hard for me to play this whole project back to front, as there are too many moments where I feel opportunities were missed to create something more emotionally engaging.

Favourite Tracks:

daybed
cellophane

7.1/10
Dec 7, 2019
Good review... definitely agree. Daybed and Cellophane are really underwhelming tracks to come at the end of such a highly anticipated album.
okcomputer12127