Father John Misty - God's Favorite Customer
Apr 17, 2018 (updated Apr 19, 2018)
Cannot wait to see the FJM hating troll farm in full effect... esp with that album cover. Let the snarky comments commence!

So, here we go. Just one year after FJM releases the extremely polarizing (and IMO outstanding) Pure Comedy, he is back with brisk 10 song album clocking in at just under 40 minutes. Things sound like a mix between PC & Honeybear. God's Favorite Customer is certainly a little more on the punchy side, with an especially sprightly first half. We certainly get moments (Just Dumb Enough to Try & Please Don’t Die) that recall Pure Comedy's most accessible tune A Bigger Paper Bag and this for sure is a good thing. We also get him exploring some new sounds with excellent results (Date Night, Disappointing Diamonds Are the Rarest of Them All). The Palace, God’s Favorite Customer (HECK YES on getting WEYES BLOOD/Natalie Mering on this thing) & The Songwriter bring us back to the piano tunes of Pure Comedy, with the title track hitting some real highs.

IMO this might be my favorite open/closer combo from FJM, with Hangout at the Gallows and We’re Only People bringing us back to the best moments of Honeybear. Although this album falls short of the absolute highs of the previous two efforts, this is still an outstanding addition to his catalog. I don't think he was going for the grand statement here, certainly not the same scope we had with PC, but of course the man has no shortage of things to say. 4 albums in and I'm certainly still paying attention. I get why people look at JT as a pretentious dick, but I find his humor and honesty refreshing in these times. Having seen him perform live, I can also say the man is a freaking entertainer and puts on a great show. We don't have many personalities like this in music currently, I think we need to appreciate this man.
Apr 18, 2018
Is the cover bad...? I like it.
Apr 18, 2018
Oh, I like it. Some people just tend to hate everything this guy does... Esp with him putting a pic of himself on the cover.
Apr 18, 2018
That might just be the vocal pleb minority, they are increasing in numbers unfortunately.
Apr 19, 2018
we live in the age of troll empowerment!
Oct 6, 2019
Just glancing over some of your reviews, and I had to mention that when you said 'PC & Honeybear' I thought you were talking about John Grant for a second, who curiously has a song called 'TC & Honeybear'.
Oct 8, 2019
Never listened to him, is he any good?
Oct 18, 2019
I'm not really fond of the direction of his latest album, but I really like the live album he did with the BBC Philharmonic.