Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Mar 8, 2019 (updated Mar 20, 2019)
*****

12 days in and this is still all I can listen to, my favorite album from an artist I already loved. This album reminds me of lots of different music, all of which is amount my most favorite stuff.

*****

In a way this reminds me of Beach House's Teen Dream (which also happens to be my highest rated album this decade), not so much in sound but in circumstance.

We have an artist coming off an excellent album (Devotion/Front Row Seat to Earth) and following that high quality set of songs up with a Sub Pop debut. The production is upped, the budget is upped, and most importantly the songs are fleshed out, beautiful and meticulously recorded. Teen Dream ushered in the 2010's, and now Titanic Rising puts its mark on the final days of this decade.

This album is staggering, causing me pronounced goosebumps, warmth in my chest and endless emotions. Each side has 4 fully realized and absolutely gorgeous songs followed by a shorter palate cleansing instrumental flourish. This is just the 9th album from this decade that I feel comfortable placing a score in the 90's. I also feel the need to express my love for that album cover.

Alright Aldous, now its your turn.
Mar 11, 2019
well dammit now I am forced to rate it 100 before I even hear it.
Mar 11, 2019
đź‘Ť it’s super good... my scores fluctuate regularly but I’m sticking with a 90 after spending a good 24 hours mulling it over. Expectations met and exceeded for sure. I’m really hoping Aldous tops it, it’s going to be a long 6 weeks waiting for it.
Apr 12, 2019
Fantani gave it a 9 so we are safe from the influx of "lol this is boring" reviews!