Mac DeMarco - Here Comes the Cowboy
May 9, 2019 (updated May 10, 2019)
I assumed this would be totally awful, with all the ‘pro’ critics dropping terrible reviews and what not. It’s not his best, and it may be his worst, but it’s way better than the scores indicate. I personally think the whole mitski thing has put a damper on the reception. Mac could have handled the ‘uproar’ differently, but after some context Mac coming up with this title isn’t out of the question

Perhaps the only thing worse than Mac being a total ‘slacker’ is the music critics who take themselves too seriously. Yes Mac is chilled out AF and seeming aloof in recent interviews, but if you are a fan of his previous work then chances are you will still find this new music to be enjoyable.

Ive enjoyed the singles a lot and there are a few other top notch tracks as well. I hope Mac finds some new inspiration down the road, but for now I’ll happily chill with this version of Mac. Seeing him at red rocks this fall, can’t wait.
May 9, 2019
I couldn't have put it any better myself
May 9, 2019
What do people not understand it’s their opinion
May 9, 2019
You are right, it is an individual opinion and we are all entitled to one. Ultimately I think there is more at play with the poor scores from these publications than just the music though. I specifically find parts of Jazz Monroe's review to be more off putting than anything that is actually on this album and that's my opinion.
May 10, 2019
It's true that Mac DeMarco's worst is scores better than so many artists. There is pleasure in finding a diamond where others see a rock.
May 10, 2019
I don't get what people are talking about either and I'm not a huge Mac fan. I think this album is all right it's just that people are sheep and want to bring somebody who's on top down.
newslang