Benny The Butcher - Burden of Proof
Oct 21, 2020
Okay I’m buried in midterms/work/the podcast so I’m gonna make this really short and sweet.

Benny the Butcher is a 90’s hip hop revivalist but he’s missing the most crucial part of the 90’s, the lyricism. He has the swagger, the drug dealing past and the boom bap to back him up but not the bars. While its known Benny used to be a prolific drug dealer in Buffalo it’s a note he harps on, on every track as if he hasn’t mentioned it in every song before. It’s not put in any sort of metaphorical way or buried in double on entendres it merely rest their in plain sight among plain bars.

And with the production, I can’t help but feel like I’ve heard all of these songs before. Hit-boy is the lead producer and credited on every track. And while the production is high class a handful of songs (most egregiously ‘Timeless’ and ‘War Paint’) sound like King’s Disease b-sides. When they don’t sound like b-sides they sound like imitations of popular artists/group sounds back in the 90s. That adherence to the text is a double edge sword though, if you love that time period and just want a new voice rapping to it Benny is capable but a cut below. If you’re looking for a new spin on an old sound then Burden of Proof is a woeful disappointment.

🔥: Burden of Proof, Timeless, War Paint, Legend, New Streets, Sly Green

🗑: Trade It All, Over the Limit, Where Would I Go

P.S. Want a deeper discussion about this album? Check out ALBUM MODE wherever you listen to podcasts

P.P.S. THAT CONWAY VERSE THO 🔥🔥🔥

P.P.P.S. round of applause for Hit-boy mans is on tear right now
Comments
Good News
Kali Uchis - Sin Miedo (del Amor y Otros Demonios) ∞
Kali Uchis
Sin Miedo (del Amor y Otros Demonios) ∞
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - K.G.
K.G.