AOTY 2021
black midi - Cavalcade
Jul 1, 2021 (updated 5d ago)
"do people really like this stuff or it's just "yeah this sounds cool so it must be good?" Seriously I fell asleep listening to this, it sounds like just musicianship showing up. It goes nowhere, it tells you nothing, and it's not even appealing. Seriously, I don't care if this is "experimental" or any of these labels that people put to sound fancy anything that is unconventional, even when the music has no substance at all, like this one. It's 2021 and prog still sucks!"

that was my first review of this album...my god I was wrong, I was soooo wrong. I mean, this rocks. It just rocks. It's not about intricate progressive music to contemplate the musicianship or anything, it frickin ROCKS. They're rocking the hell out of these tunes, with blissful hooks, tight rhythms, and instrumentals overlapping to sound powerful and danceable in a weird and elegant way. I just wasn't prepared to dig into this patterns, and hell, they're a lot. Some trick bass and guitar lines here are all over the place, they deliver so much energy and punchiness, it wears you to follow everything, but once done, you can see that it's just about a great band rocking and jamming with intricate compositions.
Comments