Toro y Moi - Outer Peace
Jan 16, 2019
Outer Peace is an interesting album because, for me at-least, it actually got worse with repeat listens. Now that's not to say this is a terrible album. But when I first listened songs like Ordinary Pleasure really caught my ear as something special and fresh that I hadn't really heard before, and it still does. Now that I have listened through a couple times that song still holds but the rest is sinking. Sinking in odd autotune and an aura of laziness and repetition that I can't quite put my finger on. But don't get me wrong- the production is amazing. Toro y Moi clearly know what they are doing when it comes to this. As user "Z.Younk" pointed out, this perhaps would have worked better without any vocals at all, because besides a couple of charming moments, they didn't really add that much, especially when it came to the guest features.
What I can take out of this is an album I can hella respect because you can see the amount of effort put in. And while it doesn't all hit there is still some that sticks that leaves it with some dignity.
Comments