Deerhunter - Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
Feb 2, 2019 (updated Feb 2, 2019)
This is the kind of album you'd expect from a band that already peaked in their carreer: the least ambitious it could get. Although I don't think the songwriting is really that creative, the instrumentation compensates (with the usage of instruments like the harpsichord (i think?) in the song "Death in midsummer", playful pianos like those in "What Happens To People?", the strings on "Elemental", colorful synths like that one in the song "Nocturne", etc.). The point i'm trying to explain is: Bradford made a great job with the production and the instrumentals, which make the album sound creative.
I really enjoy this thing from start to finish. It is cohesive and it is sonically decent. However, as I mentioned before, the songwriting is relatively weak at some points, making some of the songs feel just 'alright'. Also, the individual performances aren't exceptional, they are decent.
My favourite tracks are "No One's Sleeping" (very playful guitars and synths, almost sounds like a children's song), "Element" (the best written song in my opinion), "Futurism" and "Plains" (kinda funky?). My least favourite track is "Nocturne".
Comments