Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!
Apr 2, 2021
My expectations for this new album from Godspeed was nothing short of astronomical. After what has happened in the past year worldwide, I felt that only GYBE could be the band to accurately depict just how we as a species have felt and what we've been through after a very tumultuous year or so. And uh... wow. I mean, of course they succeeded, but... wow.

Listening to G_d's Pee At State's End for the first time brought back the same level of emotions I remember feeling listening to Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven for the first time. Everything was a surprise, with sweeping crescendos, intricate instrumentation, detailed field recordings and atmosphere, and just overall an experience without any equal. Every song, every movement, there was something that made me lean back in my chair and just take it all in. It's everything I wanted it to be and more. It sounds like the emotion of hope taking on musical form, like the entire human race prospering forward into the next day. It's seriously one of the most moving pieces of music ever put to tape. I mean that.

Is it as good as any of their pre-hiatus material? I wouldn't personally say so outside of Yanqui UXO, but considering how I consider F#A# and LYSF to be two of the band's absolute masterpieces, saying that this is GY!BE's third best record means it's a fucking achievement. G_d's Pee is yet another absolute masterwork from the undisputed kings of post rock, and it's absolutely a must listen this year. I cannot recommend this enough.
Comments