Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You
Feb 11, 2022
I can just about entertain Beatles 'White Album' comparisons but I'm far more happy with Fleetwood Mac's 'Tusk' being the double album reference point with this rambling, unlikely epic.

Hell, Lenker even sings a little like Stevie Nicks in places, but most of all like with 'Tusk' you feel the songs fall into one of three main styles that are returned to throughout the tracklist (here they're 'acoustic folk', 'country' and for lack of a better term, 'indie') and then you have a sprinkle of outliers (the almost trip hop of 'Blurred View', the lo-fi indietronica of 'Wake Me Up to Drive', the bluesy 'Love Love Love').

I have a strange predilection for double albums and this is by far one of the most impressive recent examples.

Great review Doofy, I agree with you,
I have a hard time understanding why Pitchfork and people compare this album to the Beatles, as much as Tusk I find it rather logical, but the White album is a revolutionary album in terms of innovation, which is not the case here and especially for me the most important point, the White album is an album of 4 guys who were doing their sauce relatively more or less separate, while this one shines by the cohesion of the group
I wanted to have your opinion on this point
5mo
Thanks DoubleZ, yes I think people have simply gone 'there's a lot of genres here - it's The White Album' when really no songs sound an awful lot like The Beatles. There are a few songs that actively sound like the Mac on 'Tusk' to me, but also this has a similar ramshackle quality and the structuring seems roughly similar. Ok, similar as to with The Beatles with Fleetwood Mac you had distinct songwriters doing their own thing and as you say this all feels like more of a team effort...but even then the very spare folk stuff feels close to 'Lenker solo' and some songs are more 'Meek solo'ish...maybe?
doofy 90+'s are the real essentials
5mo
This is a very interesting line of reasoning, and it is true that one can ask oneself the question
In my opinion Meek is indispensable but I don't think he's cut out for a great solo career, and we mustn't forget the shadowy work of the drummer who leads the project, and strangely enough never had a Big Thief album had this particular flavour