Baxter Dury - The Night Chancers
Mar 20, 2020
With wisdom and experience, Baxter Dury has not only delivered an album as successful as Happy Soup, he has perfected himself, pushing his limits, offering a very hot and endearing The Night Chancers!

I'm not a big fan of Baxter Dury, and I must admit that the first listening of this album was relatively disappointing and banal. However, by giving it additional chances, I was trapped to my great surprise. This is often the case with Baxter and this is one of the strengths of this artist, at first impressions the whole sounds simple and smooth, with even some grotesque aspects of the Baxter character that can repulse. However, it becomes contagious. The writing and the outspokenness he shows, it's sensational. Plus the warm and lively chorus that accompanies it creates that synergy that is so effective

The atmosphere of The Night Chancers is very sensual. Musically it's very well produced, instrumentally it's delicious. Its Indie Rock/Synthop mix is very often close to funk or disco, yet sometimes you feel like you can hear some touches of easy-listening, which makes you think of elevator music or background music from a chic place. One thing is for sure, Baxter Dury is a talented Singer/Songwriter who shows boldness and ambition, which is felt through his music and narration, especially this melancholic feeling.
Doublez's Tags