The Strokes - The New Abnormal
Apr 10, 2020 (updated Apr 11, 2020)
In addition to the newfound chemistry, The Strokes on The New Abnormal strikes just right, to strike hard. The trend effect is something indestructible that acts in many areas, between them the music that describes itself as a loop that once it reaches its final phase, goes back for a turn. In music, tendencies are very often caused by the influences and idols we listen to, mostly in our youth and which remain as real bases that build us. Although tastes can evolve, or those who create and innovate can change things, trends and influences are still mostly important, especially since it is impossible to start from scratch. When we already study this year and the previous ones, we realize that there are many trends or musical styles that are revisited, which originally often date back to the end of the 70s / 80s and 90s. Today if the Synthpop, Indie Rock and Post Rock trends are so present, it's simply because the artists who offer us albums today are children of their times.

When the New Yorkers The Strokes arrived in the 2000s, they didn't revolutionize anything, they just brought their formula and their modern touches to be part of the bands that brought back the taste of post punk and garage punk, thus starting the revival period of these styles, which caused a tidal wave. So the trend was revived, although it was modernized and revisited, and like many people I succumbed to the charms of this wonderful band. The Strokes built their formula through the voice and writing of the prodigious Julian Casablanca, supported by talented and equally important guitarists Nick Valensi and Albert Hammond Jr. I found it important to remember his memories and also to analyze the evolution of the music, since I think that part of the success of this new album The New Abnormal can be explained in my opinion by a bit of nostalgia for his long years of waiting and also because today's trends are in adequacy with the Strokes' "sound" as if the planets were all aligned.

Of course these are not the only reasons. I would like to say that although I love this new album, which erases the previous ones, it is in my opinion and without hesitation less good than the first two and especially Is This It. Why is that? Simply for 2 reasons, the first one is that Is This It established and installed the formula The Strokes, fixing their "sound" from the start, and secondly because there were some indescribable and unconscious things they never knew how to do better, even on Room on Fire. Faced with the lack of inspiration they experienced for 10 years afterwards, The Strokes were especially stirred up by lightning on a few songs here and there on their next albums. Luckily for us, with The New Abnormal they managed to build again a solid album where there's no waste. Where they had compensated their lack of inspiration with electronic (and generic) elements, which is also explained by the time when electronics was trendy in the late 2000's and early 2010's, today they've opted for a much more minimalist work, more access to the effect that each note or harmony will create, rather than overdoing it. Thank God, they have also kept their sparkle to offer great moments here as well. Another positive point, I would like to congratulate Casablanca for improving his writing, and then trying/trying new and more versatile things on his voice, which brings enough diversity to avoid the redundancy of the formula we know so much about. In conclusion, in all objectivity, there is absolutely nothing avant-garde for me, and nothing new when you think about it, it's simply a more mature and refined version of Strokes that has managed to make a triumphant return, pleasant for our ears and hearts.

So I'd like to take this opportunity to also thank the whole New Wave and Post Punk scene of the 70/80's, your kids are doing great!
Doublez's Tags