Code Orange - Underneath
Mar 13, 2020
The Pittsburgh natives seem to have pushed the limits, as if unleashed and unstoppable, with their best efforts to date in my opinion.

Code Orange clearly became after their previous album Forever one of the leading bands of the hardcore scene and they have gained a consequent popularity that allows them to have more impact. For my part I had already found that it had offered a bluffing and solid work on Forever, but on Underneath the band has been able to perfect its formula, while offering some small experiments. The album starts in a very intense and striking way, with a handful of songs that follow one another, leaving the listener with no moment of respite. A part characterized by a very hardcore industrial sound, particularly stifling, which gives off an incredible power. Once past the beginning, the band regains their Punk and Sludge Metal sounds until the end of Underneath, even the hardcore spirit still dominates the subject.

It's interesting to see the "power" or "control" effects that Code Orange gives off through the construction and the result of their songs. They have this ability to capture all the attention, as if you were paralyzed and at their mercy, as can for example with all their sound and effect play. I can't help but notice the extraordinary work of the band and the production on the musical rendering, which also shows all their mastery. For my part, I think that there is precisely enough diversity and fulgurances here to avoid the slightest waste, making Underneath a complete and hyper efficient album, even after several listenings.

For me it's not a surprise to see Code Orange offering us such a good album, I know that there are some reticent to this band, especially the most purist of the metal community, because it applies a fusion of several musical sub-styles and can sometimes release this "pop" or "too accessible" side. I think that the genre needs a band like Code Orange, which tries things, makes things evolve, while offering a very appreciable content, even if we agree that they haven't discovered fire either.
Doublez's Tags