Laura Marling - Song For Our Daughter
Apr 10, 2020
Without departing from the rule, Laura Marling offers us once again a new album which is characterized in the foreground by a particularly fabulous writing, supported by a warm voice and clear-sighted melodies, while the instrumentalization of folk/pop baroque chamber music is a little more discreet.

She has been delighting us with her music for more than 10 years now, with a succession of vibrant albums that all have their own peculiarities, ideas and varied themes, which has resulted in a rich and sensational discography. To start with Song For Our Daughter, I will say that it first guided my day, by the beauty and the atmosphere that emanates from it. Quite quickly when I listened to it, I felt that although I was going to enjoy listening to it, Song For Our Daughter would not be on the same level as its predecessors, because musically there are some things that are a little less brilliant. Yet the replay value it has, which is mostly due to the efficiency and super catchy effect of each song, improves the pleasure I get from listening to it.

The "concept" or rather I would say the main lyrical characteristic that comes to animate Song For Our Daughter, has this powerful and touching strength to be at the same time very intimate, while possessing this "identity" aspect on which it is easy to identify when one is concerned. In fact, there is this human side, which expresses itself very fluidly through folk/pop ballads, which seems "simple" and true, which gives a very deep dimension to emotions and messages. For my part, although each song has its place on this album, I still find it lacks a bit more variety. The one criticism I can make of it is that I would have liked to have been more surprised musically as much as lyrically, as I could have been before.
Doublez's Tags