Gunna - WUNNA
5d ago (updated 4d ago)
Wunna is yet another demonstration of Gunna's talent as a watchmaker capable of surgical precision. It is with his astonishing minimalism that he tries as best he can to offer new horizons to the trap.

It may be a road full of pitfalls, but Gunna seems determined to continue on the path he's been on, and maybe one day it will pay off. It is not yet the case. Certainly Gunna didn't reinvent anything when he arrived, he shot and built his Young Thug formula which has the difference of extravagance of this one, he just gradually moved towards the approach of detail by establishing a cloud atmosphere. It is understandable to reproach him for his redundancy and weakness of writing. Yet not only has Gunna managed to find his musical personality, but he deserves the credit for making it sound like nobody else. While he had created a rift between his 2 previous projects, Wunna is simply the continuation of Drip or Drown 2 because he totally possesses the spirit of it. Only unlike this one, it is a little more refined. Gunna's progression remains palpable, but he has a hard time getting to the next level. Mainly, when the problem is not that he has too many songs, it's mostly that he still has too much tendency to reproduce again and again the same melodies and some songs too similar. There's also this feeling that nothing is finished, which I think he really lacks, especially when you do things in a meticulous way.

On the other hand, when he feels like it (or when he can), Gunna applies himself and tries new approaches more catchy than ever, which has the gift to hypnotize you like a charming Snake. When I think about Gunna's flow, I can't help but make this metaphor. Take a flute for example: it's not the most impressive instrument, but when you hear a catchy melody, you have to admit that it has the power to bewitch you. As always with his projects, he has often supported and helped with a delicious and talented production, which moreover differentiates itself from its peers. But quite honestly, as a fan and knowing him since his beginnings, before he exploded in the eyes of the general public, despite the improvements Wunna didn't do better in my opinion. He just made a pleasant copy, more accessible and more solid than Drip or Drown 2, but on the other hand he hasn't been able to build a project that stands out and shows a considerable step up. I think it's easier to start from a base to do better, than to create the base itself
Doublez's Tags