Jeff Rosenstock - NO DREAM
May 22, 2020 (updated May 22, 2020)
NO DREAM is a little less brilliant than his previous efforts in my opinion, but all this raw energy and his shattering messages make this new album a real joy.

Jeff Rosenstock is a passionate artist who still has a gift for hiding behind the power pop/punk aesthetics of a demanding and deeply human music. This strength that allows him to perfectly manage the balance between dynamism, emotion and writing systematically allows him to offer this kind of fascinating album that stands the test of time. No Dream is already part of the history of mankind, being one of a work born and conceived around the epidemic we know. It stands out in particular for its purity, intimacy and state of emergency that prevail. Fortunately it does not limit itself to that, which is another quality. It's an observation you find elsewhere with this type of album, but it gives us what we need: a dose of volcanic rock that allows us to let off steam with all the stuff we've stored up.

There's nothing musically new on No Dream, nor surprising from him, but his formula and his writing remain as irresistible as ever. Last all this overflowing energy, No Dream is far from being as much fun as what we hear. In fact, it's mostly the opposite and that's the main interest I get from this album. It shows all his anger, all his anxiety and all his commitment to what he's pointing at and all the memories that have marked him deeply. Clearly No Dream could clearly be considered as an "emo" album, so much so that it drips from it. If you add to all these qualities, the additivity that No Dream provides, you can only get a new mastodon. To finish, I would like to thank Jeff Rosenstock for offering us such a lively content that shows us some worrying things. I think we need an artist like him with such a strong writing and commitment that during the space of a work of art, shows us the real life
Doublez's Tags