Aminé - Limbo
Aug 7, 2020
Ironically, on his new album Limbo, Aminé is chaining far too many dance missteps together. It's a tasteless joke as banal as this album.

I'm starting to hate rap, it's so irritating. Can we talk about disappointment? Half of it, actually. First of all, I think there's cause for disappointment based on his potential and all the media support he's never lost despite the fact that he's rather discreet. Having discovered him like most people do with Caroline in 2016, Aminé aspired to something different. It's true that managing his career is ultimately different from other popular rappers, but I admit I was expecting a few things after his first album released in 2017. What have we got since then, apart from a few interesting songs? So I put it into perspective and said at the dawn of its release that this was his chance to make me lie. After all, if an artist wants to take his time to prepare a successful sophomore album, then I'm willing to wait. On top of that, unfortunately for him, the buzz that generated the explosion of Caroline and his debut album Good For You made the task even more complex to make a sequel solid enough not to bend under the weight of a past success. On the other hand it's not totally a disappointment because I didn't expect much from him after what he showed me lately.

Without being gratuitously slanderous, Limbo remains a pleasant album on the whole, with a few exceptions that I find rather weak. It's varied enough and rather well produced to be musically pleasant, however Limbo bored me and I'm sorry for its author. The main flaws of Aminé are real brakes. The most obvious one is that Aminé hasn't yet been able to take the next step. Certainly it's a difficult and important step, a real test, but for me it hasn't progressed much, nor has it taken on a higher dimension since Good For You. In fact, I prefer his first one in Limbo, without any hesitation. He gives the impression of being more accomplished, which is absurd, so yes, he has gained in maturity and refined his writing, but the wall is still too high to climb it. The second flaw that I try to point out is that Aminé is too irregular in his performances, going from a mastered interpretation to a few missed things, without unfortunately ever really having any fulgurances. And then finally, as far as musical timbre is concerned, Aminé hasn't yet found his own voice and his own way, not being able to distinguish himself from his influences. Several times throughout the album I thought I heard the flow of the old Drake from his early days (who was also looking for himself) and I have to say that's the last thing I'm looking to hear at this point. Without disrespect to his work and this album, Limbo is finally predictable after a few songs; although it is different from many popular rap albums of the moment. There are some flashy featurings and rather successful on the whole, musically we're on an alternative hip hop that runs as much through the 2000s as the 2010s, but all the good things and the content of his lyrics unfortunately do not compensate for the shortcomings.
Doublez's Tags