21 Savage & Metro Boomin - SAVAGE MODE II
Oct 2, 2020
Savage Mode 2 is not as intense and morbid as its predecessor, but it manages perfectly to correct some of the flaws of the past while offering a suite with memorable and much more solid content.

It's never easy to make a sequel, especially when the first one has made an impression. There's not many capable examples that break the rule and to be honest with you, unless the weather changes my mind, I find that this new album is not up to its predecessor (but it's close). I'm aware that opinions are scattered on this subject, but Savage Mode remains for me an essential trap work that has personally upset me, because of its cruelty and by a unique performance by the 2 acolytes 21 Savage and Metro Boomin. Not only had we just discovered a weird rapper who has nothing of the archetype of the favorite rapper who knew how to play his character to perfection, but in addition we discovered a completely insane alchemy with Metro Boomin then in full turmoil. Despite its flaws and its repetitions, Savage Mode 1 is the kind of project that we can't reproduce without failing, because notably there was a "natural" and not over-played side that stuck perfectly to the character. That's why I'm not surprised to see that the sequel is clearly different from the first one, proposing new horizons while revisiting some of the bases of all the previous works of 21 Savage.

For the moment, Savage Mode 2 offers an even brighter and more accomplished production, with an inteligently constructed album, while 21 Savage shows a more versatile palette, witnessing its evolution over the last 4 years. Structured around a divine naration, Savage Mode is much less easy to access and more diversified, offering multiple layers that need to be discovered as the listener goes along. Metro Boomin, which had remained discreet in recent times, also shows its new palette with tones that are close to the dirty sound and southern soul of the 90s/2000 perfectly tuned to a meticulous production that still has the ability to hypnotize you. It is true that we can underline the effort of the duo to have built a rap album by taking its time, applying itself to the smallest detail, without ever falling into the ease of the predictable sequel. It's a very appreciable work that will clearly be an interesting competitor this year for the hip hop genre

Doublez's Tags
2y
Perfectly described my thoughts. Great review!! :)
2y
Thank you @Cry, glad we share the same opinion!
I think it's a happy day for rap music (:
[hidden]
2y
@Rater Completely agree, @DoubleZ's reviews are always on point!
2y
Thanks a lot guys it's really really kind, thanks for the support ! (: @Rater @Cry
Love The review double
It pleases me what you say (: @Noz
1y
Great review, you nailed it!
1y
What number of The History of the Albums is it? I'm confused...
@Melancoholic #12
1y
That's kind @MRagouzi, thank you!
Haha it's not really an episode of HOTA but why not later maybe it will be a classic that will be on the list ! @Melancoholic (: