Miley Cyrus - Plastic Hearts
Nov 27, 2020
Rock and Roll! It is already very rare to point it out, but for the first time Miley did not content herself with making a failed, even decent album, she succeeded, at the same time while finding the way to artistic fulfillment. Plastic Hearts transpires the 80's, as much musically as in imagery. Approaching an electric and synthetic arena rock that often merges either with serious Country Pop or a modernized Synthwave, Miley Cyrus has never been as sincere as on her 7th album.

If Miley Cyrus is a super star who is making a remarkable comeback, it's obvious that her career path has not escaped anyone's notice. The child of Disney, the ghost of Hannah Montana, has suffered, sweated and suffered, because it is not enough to know and to be able to get rid of your past when it makes you so famous under the spotlights, you must above all know how to reinvent yourself. And I think that in her case, that was the hardest thing for her. Going from the very nice teenager, to the rebel who was trying her best to assert her femininity and identity, to showing alarming faces of a woman and an artist who asks for help, as very little music history has known. This era seems resolved, it took a long time, but it could also have never succeeded. It has risen again, and Plastic Hearts symbolizes this new form of control, power and self-confidence. I would say that this is probably what made it possible to make a good album. That's the central point. It was the ingredient that was missing. If you add a certain maturity, an explosive but mastered production, an efficient and not too smooth writing, I would say that Plastic Hearts is finally a great surprise.

Finally when you analyze the album in more detail, you quickly realize that nothing is so new here. First of all musically, it's an ambitious rock album, but it's nothing but a retro concept remastered in the style of 2010. In any case, in the past, super stars (or those who were about to become super stars) created new currents, today these super stars were content to revisit the past in their own way and according to trends. As if we had reached our limits (e.g. The Weeknd, Dua Lipa etc...). Anyway, Miley Cyrus has done it and it would be a shame to blame it on everyone else. If we look back at the musical aspect, Miley offers a really pleasant and solid interpretation, which falls very little into the dangerous zone of the credits. When you think about it, the musical styles that Plastic Hearts proposes are not so far from what Miley Cyrus had already tackled before, but it must be said that for the moment everything fits together perfectly. The move of the stars aligning perfectly. It's clear that she was well helped, whether it was her production team, the songwriters and also the speakers, bringing Billy Idol or Joan Jett back to life. I even felt like applauding when I heard that. I think it was important that Miley was able to balance all the factors to make it work properly and not end up as a bland, tasteless, predictable, even annoying pop album. Well no, Plastic Hearts is the opposite. In addition to using her voice in an intelligent and powerful way, I've never heard such an introspective Miley Cyrus, who manages to make her heart speak at the same time, whether in sorrow, sadness or joy.

In conclusion, as you can understand, I'm not a fan of Cyrus, but I have to admit that this is the first time she has ever given us an album this good. Not everything is extraordinary either, there are of course some passages that are more forgettable than others. Even if it's not on the same level, Plastic Hearts manages to do what the last albums of Dua Lipa or the Weeknd did as well: that is to say use the retro side, to make it a pop reference of our time. So it's a consecration, first of all musical but above all personal for her because it was something very complicated to do, where many failed this year, because it's not a magic formula that works systematically. I have to admit that I never thought I would write this about Miley one day. But the music is so extraordinary that anything is possible.
Doublez's Tags
Great review as always!
Thank’s @MattsReviews, I return the compliment, great review
Nov 27, 2020
I´m actually a fan of her voice (not so much of her records), due to your great review I´ll have to give this a try
Nov 27, 2020
Thank you it's kind! For once it's a good album, if you like her voice I think you'll find it pleasant, especially as it's rather well produced, well done! Can't wait to get some feedback from you on this album, buddy! @ocrakraut
Nov 28, 2020
I really liked the deepness of your review!
Nov 28, 2020