R.A.P. Ferreira - The Light Emitting Diamond Cutter Scriptures
Nov 26, 2021
The poet/rapper from Nashville shows again on The Light Emitting Diamond Cutter Scriptures that his singularity and his universe are the main ingredients that make a R.A.P Ferreira project a Hip Hop event not to be missed.

Winter is approaching, the sun is too often hidden by a gray veil of clouds, the cold invades the streets. It's time to take refuge in the warmth of a café to enjoy a moment where you can find yourself. Brake some seconds by the constraint to untangle my earphones with wire, taking advantage of the smell of the hot coffee. Everything is gathered to be able to listen to poetry which will release my chakras, to escape towards imaginary worlds. What could be better than to dive into the world of a "backpack rapper", as Kanye West describes it so well. Direction Nashville, an umpteenth meeting with R.A.P Ferreira (a.k.a Milo) who delivers his 3rd album under this entity. An unctuous master of Jazz Rap, of abstract poetry, a personality so singular that is able to make us travel through thrilling stories. R.A.P Ferreira is not even 30 years old but his track record and experience is just staggering, with a handful of sensational projects. Since 2018, Milo has let himself be replaced by his new character Rory Allen Phillip Ferreira with whom he has continued a “no fail” record, a great professional who likes discretion. The acclaimed Purple Moonlight Pages (2020) to set the landscape for this chapter, followed in very early 2021 by Bob's Son, a reserved album that is earned and savored. The Chicago native is now heading towards The Light Emitting Diamond Cutter Scriptures, a third album as tantalizing as the back cover of a book you'll love to devour.

The Light Emitting Diamond Cutter Scriptures is in the image of his usual process of work and creation, that is to say to think of a new concept, while being deeply inspired by poets or philisophical visions. For this last album, R.A.P. Ferreira enjoys breaking the material aspect, or even wandering in the streets of Nashville, looking for spiritual solutions. We can also underline this rather rare way of releasing an album months or even a year after it is globally finalized, as if to support a certain hindsight that one must have to dive into one of his works. The Light Emitting Diamond Cutter Scriptures would have been mainly thought and realized at the time of the entrustment to the primtemps 2020, and unfortunately I do not know the explanation of this will to take time. In any case, this album transpires precisely the fact that R.A.P Ferreira does not hurry, on the contrary he takes the time to think about his work, to refine it as it should be. 11 jazzy poems compose The Light Emitting Diamond Cutter Scriptures for 28 minutes of pure autarky. This album is mainly marked by emotions, stories and images often marked by his local environment or the love he has for his community. Although this new opus is not at the level of the excellent Purple Moonlight Pages, The Light Emitting Diamond Cutter Scriptures can be savored by its spontaneity, its sincerity and its musical sweetness. It's like a dose of pure air, neither too short nor too long, that comes to purify you.

Contrapuntal delightfully opens the album, with a warm and lounge instrumental that sparkles with a thousand lights. R.A.P Ferreira lets himself be carried away by the feelings, delivering an applied poetry, up to this famous enchanting song that serves as a saving chorus to support the contrapuntal effect. You are now comfortably installed to travel through The Light Emitting Diamond Cutter Scriptures. Then follows the most energetic Brother Mouzone Library Card, reference to the character of The Wire, where the rapper from Nashville delivers a demonstration with full confidence. I have always admired in him this ability to sing the tunes of the instrumentals, as if to imitate an instrument, which always brings a flavor in addition. Produced also by brainweight, Hyperion keeps this crazy, psychedelic and hypnotic energy of the previous track which gives the impression that the rhymes of R.A.P Ferreira are in total levitation, percussion with each intonation. The Light Emitting Diamond Cutter Scriptures makes fun of conventional song formats, this album generally lives through short formats or isolated segments that intertwine with the universe of the project. Wedding cake eighths is one of the outstanding examples, as it is a song that does not even exceed 2 minutes and played with a single verse. No matter the reduced time, the poetry and the accuracy of R.A.P Ferreira always manages to tame the instrumental to draw all the essence.

For this 3rd album, R.A.P Ferreira surrounded himself with multiple almost unknown producers, like Argov, Gibbsfreelance, Brendon Caroselli, Vast Ness, only Pink Navel has some traces, which makes this album really special because we have the impression that each colloborator to give the best of him even, without paying attention to the lack of experience. We also note the unique vocal intervention of Eldon. It's mainly the different beatmakers that dictate the variety of sounds on the album. Humboldt Park Jibaritos delivers a very traditional Jazz Rap / Boom Bap narrative articulated around a melancholic saxophone, while gemilut hasadim is more punchy and lively, proving to be one of the most entertaining instrumentals of the project. Obviously, beyond the instrumentals, R.A.P Ferreira ensures the show, combining metaphors and subtlety in a hyper imagined universe, sometimes held by insignificant symbols. East Nashville, one of the most im-portant songs of the project, acts as a kind of monologue, giving the impression of interaction between his character and himself. He pays homage to his passion for hip hop, poetry and the city he has lived in for many years now. He practices in a comfort that is his, the impact of the messages, the accuracy of his words, which are articulated rather according to his conviction than the instrumentals. Uptown 37 is one of my favorite songs of the project, pushed by a clear and airy instrumentation. We can hear a soft electric guitar that creates an ultra paralyzing atmosphere where R.A.P Ferreira comes in between. Finally the album concludes with Hot Bref, a song with an open heart where the author lets himself be carried away by his art and his emotions, like this itinerant bluesman that we used to hear on the corner of a street. Finally, was my coffee any good? I don't know, I was so immersed in this record that I let it get cold

Doublez's Tags
Nov 26, 2021
Respect for your ability to write a review without a coffee first
Nov 26, 2021
I love a challenge haha @ocrakraut
Milo coverage W
Nov 26, 2021
What an amazing and in-depth review. Do you write professionally?
Big Milo @PelicanManners

Thank you very much! No I am not a professional, I do however write freelance for The Line Of Best Fit and Spectrum Culture
@MuseGod11
Nov 27, 2021
Great review, Aymeric! I'm surprised this album isn't that popular on AOTY.
Nov 28, 2021
That's kind, thanks to you @emomu ! It's true, but I think that the traffic of the site is decreasing with the Christmas holidays, the end of the year. If the album Bob son is more popular it was partly because it is one of the first albums of 2021
This one comes in a bad time to be really popular
Nov 28, 2021
just FYI he's not from Nashville, he's from Chicago/Kenosha moved to LA for a while and now he's based in Nashville.
Yes, it's indicated in my review, at the end of my first paragraph @N4t4N