FKA twigs - MAGDALENE
Nov 8, 2019 (updated Nov 17, 2019)
I never trust albums who just jump to #1 in the user score ranking before even being out. Ever. To the point I was unsure if listening to "MAGDALENE" was going to be actually worthy. I still need some material for the rest of the week, so I had to give this a try.
And I kind of regret it.

FKA twigs has wonderful vocals, and the first lives of this album's songs proved that to me. However, if I were to rate an album by only considering the vocals, I'd have only 100s and 0s. This is not a project for the "common" ears, and that's obvious. For the same reasons we don't play Björk on BBQ parties, there are rare contexts to listen to tracks like "fallen alien" outside of your earphones. It isn't a sin to keep a consistent concept, but it IS a flaw overestimating how far your song will reach most audiences.

There ARE some highlights I could point here, like "holy terrain", where she managed to wonderfully insert Future into her aesthetic, even if for one track only. About the rest, I don't have much to say. Consider my neutral position as my way to say I expected more.

Now excuse me, as I go back to After School's "First Love". Have a great day, everyone.
Comments
Good News
BTS - BE
BTS
BE
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - K.G.
K.G.