BTS - MAP OF THE SOUL : PERSONA
Apr 15, 2019 (updated 1d ago)
EDIT: Here’s the review. I totally forgot every song on this album. There were a few songs that seemed decent, but almost all of it was slothered in over produced and over commercialized electropop.

Favorites: Mikrokosmos, Jamais vu

Worst: Boy With Luv

New and Old AOTY Users! Please Read!

A message to new AOTY users:

AOTY is a small community, but we have worked together for years to build a close-knit family of reviewers who work together to help each other find music that we love. And over the years, we’ve had a system to help us discover music, where users will review albums, and we have a normalized rating of an album compared to every other album on the site.

However, this relies on each and every user to review a large amount of albums, so when there is a large user base that only reviews one album, and each of these reviewers give approximately the same score, we have an inflated score. This breaks the system that we have built over the years. When you all review only one album and give it similar scores, we know that there are a lot of people that really love that album, but we can’t have a fair grasp on how that album compares to others that you have listened to. We know that this new BTS is great, but we don’t know how it compares to an album by the Beatles, Taylor Swift, or even acts from a similar sound, like IKON or Blackpink.

We’d love if you’d join us in the AOTY community, but we need you to respect the system that we have built to help you and each other. So if you are going to make an account to give BTS an amazing score, then that’s amazing. But you need to give other albums scores on the same scale you rated BTS, or else we don’t know how amazing BTS compared to other albums you’ve heard. This way, not only will be able to discover KPop albums that you love, but you can find some albums that we love that will help you learn more about music.

A message to old AOTY users:

I understand how frustrating it is to have an album unfairly rated by a group of reviewers that have newly come in. It’s odd to have a usually small community being “invaded” by a stan group.

However, it is important that we continue to act in a appropriate and peaceful way. Calling new users “bots” is incredibly disrespectful; these are individual people that are just as passionate about music as the rest of us. All of our opinions are equal, and it is rude to mistreat those who disagree with us. Giving the new BTS deeply deflated scores is hypocritical and does nothing for the score; it only encourages more hostility between communities. Stick to writing honest reviews and give honest ratings, all based on your previous scale. Don’t become hostile.

Finally, treat all other users with respect. These “invasions” are chances for new users to become new members of the community. We should take this opportunity to help these new users learn the rules and culture of the site, and work towards them being productive members of our community. Ultimately, a larger user base will help music discovery, and we will all be more open to more music. This is a chance for us to expand the site and community; don’t squander this opportunity.

I’ve heard this EP a few times, and I don’t have particularly strong feelings about it. I might do a short review in a few days, so try not to fuck anything up in that time.
Apr 16, 2019
Hi Dynade, I literally created this account just to reply you. I'm an Army but I don't intend to give this album a once-off perfect rating here simply because I like them. I say this because I understand what you've explained above and wish to respect this community that you're so passionate about. Your level-headed comment was a breath of fresh air amidst all the crazy comments left by AOTY users vs Armies. I just wanted to say thanks for being so objective and for understanding both sides :-)
peachym0chi