Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Mar 17, 2015
I think it's funny that loads of you have given it a perfect 10 just a couple of hours after it had surfaced.

Personally I think that Buttefly tries really hard to be universally great and significant, but it somehow fails to deliver when it comes to the classic rap album area - contrary to the GKMC. It lacks hooks, it lacks bangers, finally it's not an easy listening expercience - i do not have the desire to listen to it on repeat.

On the other hand, you just feel the huge ideas behind the album, it impresses how musically complex it aims to be. What's more, the lyrics are definitiely overwhelming - they are smart, meaningful and powerful.

At this moment I'm far from labelling it classic or historical, but it has the potential to unveil its beauty after a couple of months.
Mar 17, 2015
Exactly dude. It lacks hooks, it doesn't attempt to have bangers, and it's dense, which is the exact opposite of what rap aims to be. It's cool if you just want music to roll around with your homies...if you want that, Drake and Macklemore are great. Kendrick would much rather make MUSICAL statements... this is going to become rap's Kid A if we recognize it as such, and we need to stop allowing rap to fall into it's outdated conventions, like Kendrick just proved possible. 10/10 bro.
Mar 17, 2015
I get the point but still, it just does not click for me in the terms of music. I'd love to get the out-of-frame rap album that simply strikes me, but it's not the case with this record. And tbh I have quite ecclectic taste in music, so i'm not a classical hip-hop head but nor a random guy who rarely listens to that genre.

Maybe it's just me, because i wasn't also digging that much the latest FlyLo album, so perhaps the melange of jazz and modern "mainstream" music is simply not for me.
Mar 18, 2015
btw Kid A wasn't THAT good. Amnesiac is my favourite Radiohead's album.
Apr 19, 2015
Kid A changed the way people listened to music. In Rainbows will forever be my favourite Radiohead album, but Kid A is by far their best. What Kendrick did was very brave and I do see this album becoming a classic just because of how experimental it is compared to other rap albums.
Apr 28, 2015
I agree, Eddy.
Aug 28, 2018
he didn't know it,but he would find that he'd think it is a 10/10 album
Nov 25, 2018
i don't understand how you can dislike the sound of this album. Some of hip hop finest production, on par with doggystyle midnight marauders or only built 4 cuban linx. ecery sobg is straight perfect. the music NEVER bores me, always transports me somewhere else. A pure 10/10 for me
Dec 18, 2018
This review is aging poorly.
Mar 8, 2019