The Snuts - W.L.
Apr 5, 2021 (updated Apr 6, 2021)
For a new, Scottish band that Parlophone themselves tipped to look out for this year (Which will bank well in the UK Album Chart), their debut album W.L. has finally arrived...And I was disappointed.

W.L.'s main problem is it ticks every indie cliché trickery you may as have heard countless times.
What makes new bands like Vistas, The Magic Gang and Sea Girls more successful is their fresh and relevant indie vibes; even veterans like Biffy Clyro and Maximo Park have turned up a recent, relevant album!

But, what makes W.L. very uninspiring, is the entire tracks is very much too similar to other artists out there (Something that The Enemy tried to do, and look what happened to them). From the top of my head, I can say a quarter of their albums is cherry-picking --the noughties Arctic Monkeys (Who moved on from those days ages ago), Razorlight (Remember them?), Kings of Leon (Who are basically just a popular, but plain band) and Bob Dylan for their ballads.
The lyrics felt over-sentimental, even Ed Sheeran would happily add them to his next collaboration album...Actually, don't...ever!.

Their theme is obviously nostalgia and retro; so of course, their production is somewhat frizzy. Which delivered below-par results.
So not bad for their part, but could've been better.

Overall, This is certainly an Indie Landfill album that Vice could snap up in their brownie points the next time they somewhat churn up another "Indie Landfill Bragging Right Article". Despite some sub-par production, the engineering and the lyrics were way too familiar, leaving me uninterested, I still think this is a below-average album which listeners should wait until "The Bargain Bin Realm" beckons if they so want this in their physical collection. It's probably up your alley if you need that 00s indie vibes once again, but like many artists and Indie listeners, we evolve and move on.
Comments