AOTY 2020
Car Seat Headrest - Beach Life-In-Death
Mar 11, 2018 (updated Mar 8, 2020)
As a cat person, I'm offended

Anyways, my literal favorite song of all time. Whether I’m listening to it alone in my room with the lights off or having to dive between two twenty-somethings to get my shoe, then having to get through five minutes of moshing to put it back on, this will never fail to make me feel something. Beach Life-In-Death is a song about everything conveyed in extremely personal terms. Will may name specific events and places that only have significance to him, but the feelings are still so universal that you understand what it all means to him, and it can then mean something to you. It’s a song of contradictions: a 13 minute song that feels like five and leaves you exhausted and invigorated; one that feels infinitely vast but manages to reach a level of intimacy that most songwriters can only dream of.

As Car Seat Headrest move into a new decade, a new era, and a new sound, I can’t help but reflect on their past. Will has made some of my favorite music ever in the last ten years, and it’s hard to listen to a song like Beach Life-In-Death and think he could ever top it. Just like my own future though, I’m optimistic about the direction he and his band (because it’s not just Will anymore) are taking Car Seat Headrest. Not to be self-important, but it seems so fitting that their new album is dropping as my high school career comes to a close and I prepare to leave for college. One thing I’ve loved about CSH ever since I got really into them is the sense I get that I’ll be able to grow up with this band. While I don’t know if they’ll ever beat Twin Fantasy, my literal favorite album of all time, I get the feeling that our best days are still ahead of us.
Comments