Injury Reserve - Injury Reserve
May 17, 2019 (updated May 19, 2019)
I’ll go in depth later, but for now, I’ll just say that this is one of the most creative rap albums you’re gonna hear all year

Injury Reserve have been making waves in rap music for five years now, so it's weird that this is technically their first studio album. 2016's Floss was well realized enough to be a a full album, but the band labeled it a mixtape instead. Now that we have the actual debut though, I'm happy they chose this to introduce themselves to the musical world at large. From the first twenty seconds of Koruna & Lime, Parker Corey let's you know exactly what you're in for. 'Injury Reserve' is sonically surprising and resolute in its lyrical themes of authenticity and action. Both Ritchie and Groggs give performances that range from charismatic to world-weary across the record, calling out whoever they see fit but never forgetting to look inward. It's important to remember that Injury Reserve are a trio, and even though Corey doesn't have any vocals on the record, his production is a voice every bit as powerful and essential to the band as Ritchie and Groggs. 'Injury Reserve' would not be nearly as exciting or mind-blowing without his signature touch. The beats across the project are consistently creative and versatile, making it seem like there are no rules concerning what can and can't work. No song better exemplifies this than Rap Song Tutorial, which is exactly what it sounds like. The idea of Siri narrating throughout a song sounds agonizing, but hearing what sounds like the band gradually building a banger from the ground up is a hilarious and exhilarating experience. Pretty much every song on this album brings its own flavor and reason for you to love it, whether that's a killer beat, wacky production quirk, or an earworm of a hook. I was initially a bit disappointed when I heard this debut we had been waiting so long for would be under 40 minutes, but I'm glad the trio decided to keep things tight. The result is the definition of all killer, no filler: a fast and unforgettable punch that will make your head spin and looking out for the next blow.

Favorite Tracks: Koruna & Lime, GTFU, Jailbreak the Tesla, Gravy n' Biscuits, Rap Song Tutorial, Wax On, What a Year It's Been, Three Man Weave

Least Favorite Track: N/A
May 17, 2019
drop ur rap song tutorial electrico messio