BROCKHAMPTON - GINGER
Aug 23, 2019 (updated Aug 24, 2019)
INITIAL THOUGHTS: This is definitely the most I’ve had to think about a BROCKHAMPTON record. I’ve heard GINGER twice now back to back and I’m not exactly sure what to make of it. There are moments on here that are certainly nothing short of beautiful, but the tracklist is a little messy and sometimes I feel like I’m processing everything in a daze (perhaps it’s important to recognize that it’s nearly 1 in the morning and I’ve been doing history work for about three hours). So for now I’ll do something I should probably do a bit more often: let it sit for a while.

REVIEW: Goddammit I’m just a BROCKHAMPTON shill at this point. For real though, the wistful romance of GINGER is just intoxicating to me right now. Maybe it’s because of where I am in my personal life at the moment, but when this album is at its best, it brings me to the verge of tears. With one or two exceptions, this is BROCKHAMPTON at their most emotionally potent, and almost everything resonates. Sure, BOY BYE and ST. PERCY are bangers, but what gets to me are the more open, heart-on-the-sleeve moments that make up the majority of GINGER’s powerful highs. This could be the lovestruck hook on SUGAR, the title track as a whole, or DEARLY DEPARTED, a song I think I can safely say is the biggest gut punch of the group’s career. Yes, I do still think that the transitions could be much smoother in a couple of places, especially in I BEEN BORN AGAIN’s case, but in the end, GINGER ended up overwhelming me. I know it’s dumb, but this album legitimately makes me feel like I’m in love (let’s hope that doesn’t lead me to any rash decisions). The guys pulled through here, and as a result, we have what may just be their most emotionally resonant and refined album yet.

Favorite Tracks: NO HALO, SUGAR, BOY BYE, ST. PERCY, DEARLY DEPARTED, GINGER, BIG BOY, LOVE ME FOR LIFE, VICTOR ROBERTS

Least Favorite Track: I BEEN BORN AGAIN