Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra - Promises
Mar 26, 2021 (updated Apr 15, 2021)
Less is more, and more is more.

๐“ผ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ด ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ถ๐“พ๐“ผ๐“ฒ๐“ฌ - ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“ถ๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ผ

Sam Shepherd on the composition, London Symphony Orchestra on the performance, and Pharoah Sanders on the execution. Perhaps one would not fathom a partnership between the three acts, but indubitably, the value of the end product would be prodigious. I expected a grandiose delivery from the three brilliance through mighty showcases, and even with hindsight, the assumption was reasonable, yet the journey is unexpectedly mysterious. Absent was the luxurious aura of Karma, Promises contains a mystic aura. One where the music does not sink you in, but you sink into the music.

In a space clouded with mystery, a sound suddenly appears, sharp as a blade, alluring as an emerald, giving life to its surroundings. Life, now with an essence, begins to grow and flourish. Life does not grow fast, yet it grows steadily. Rising at a constant speed, developing new elements every step of the way. A flower slowly blooms, an infant stumbles on his first walk, we are listening and experiencing every step of the way. In an enclosed yet comfy environment, the wind slowly breezes past the lush meadow, and the sun splits its ray from the sturdy timber.

The absence of the sound that birthed the surroundings did not slow down the growth, yet the return of the sound enhanced so much more. Natural noises appear to augment your visualization, imaginations burst into existence. Every instrumentation was picked with delicacy, every moment was calculated with dedication. and in the end, a loud climax of string instruments concludes the journey, as you slowly regain the sense of your physical environment. That is just my mere interpretation of the album, a lively depiction of a serene natural environment, without giving you the conventional liveliness through music.

This album is an explosive piece that urges and pushes you to your greatest fascinations, in a peaceful delivery. With the great musicians all packed into one record, it would be logical to assume epicness. Yet, during the first listen, my expectations did not come to fruition. “Is that it?” Yes, that was it. On my second listen, without the anticipation, I was then, truly mentally prepared for the journey. And it blew my mind away, with a gentle flick on the forehead. With abundant geniuses all culminating into a 46-minute expedition, there is much to explore, if you are ready. Every bit is worth digesting, every sound is worth understanding, and in the mild delivery it might showcase itself with, the exploration behind the thin curtain is truly what makes this record stunning.
Mar 26, 2021
I'm actually glad you didn't peel it layer by layer, and instead got to the points. It's not explosive, but it explodes without causing a bang. And the poetic type writing on the middle is lowkey based. Eliiscool5 confirmed
Mar 26, 2021
i am a fake snob arent i
@TomBejoy lessgoooooo
indubitably
Mar 28, 2021
@MattsReviews leave me alone.
Mar 28, 2021
@eliiscool5 ew classical but great review as always keep up the good work!
@Quet quiet
Jun 27, 2021
I love your review. What a great album
Jun 29, 2021
Easy On Me
Young Thug - Punk
Young Thug
Punk
PinkPantheress - to hell with it
PinkPantheress