Is it ironic that one of the most buzzed country records of the year is by a gay dude?

I think it's a little entertaining at least, especially since Orville channels that old western machismo to his core (with some extra mysterious flare of course). The instrumentation is great, don't get me wrong, but Orville himself is definitely the main drawing point of Pony. I mean, this guy sounds like pure magic. His voice is that bittersweet kiss before the lonely ranger rides into the sunset once again. Fuck it, his voice is the sunset.
Gorgeous and powerful, his presence on the record is both huge and intimate, helped in part by his songwriting. It really brings it all together, Just from the first part of Dead of Night I felt the goosebumps on my arm, and while I think the record sort of loses steam a little bit towards the end, we gotta give the man a fair bit of credit.

Not a lot of guys are out here making truly western tunes like these. It really had to take gay canadian to give us that true (though somewhat overblown) wild west feel. And in a sense, it couldn't have been done by anyone else.
Comments