Against All Logic - 2017 - 2019
Feb 13, 2020
A surprising turn from the lush and soothing 2012-17, but not without some flaws.
I find myself most attracted to the songs that remind me of that previous record from AAL, With an Addict cruises along with some light psychedelia mixed in, and the euphoria I feel when the choir vocals creep in like fog on Faith remains unmatched across most of ALL's published work so far. I also love the opener Fantasy, it's far and away the best track utilizing sounds from industrial techno and the likes. The track is like a perfectly constructed earthquake. Following track If Loving You Is Wrong is incredibly unmemorable, not because it's mushed between two fantastic tracks, but because it has very little to offer alone, it's a weak addition of a record with only 9 tracks. Worse still is If You Can't do it Good whose last section remains painful to listen to. I have no idea how it seemed like a good idea, it just sounds unfinished and plainly bad. The remaining songs are decent, they're pretty good. Nothing incredibly noteworthy but not bad by any stretch of the imagination.
Am I underwhelmed? Compared to how his last record floored me, yes I am sort of underwhelmed. It's still a good record, but lacks in both memorability and quality compared to what I know Nicholas is capable of.
Comments