Weezer - Weezer (White Album)
Apr 25, 2019
Everything Will Be Alright was not a fluke, it seems. Because Weezer is back, and with The White Album they have a newfound confidence that elevates these new songs into O.G. Weezy territory. I adore the beachy vibes this gives off, with good reason too as Rivers found a lot of inspiration in The Beach Boys. It shows, as I can't remember any other recent Weezer record sounding as lively and blissful as this one. Remarkably though, it's also reminiscent of the rougher qualities of Pinkerton, and it nails the sound almost completely. Jacked Up is really the only song I'd consider a dud, but even that one has grow on me with each listen. Nearly all the other songs are as hard banging and quirky as most of The Blue Album to me, albeit no song here is as incredible as Buddy Holly or In The Garage (some come very close though).
It's incredible that they have it in them to still write incredible power pop bangers, and I'm so so glad they have realised that themselves too. It's a great album, honestly fantastic, obviously the best they've done in a very very long time now.
Apr 25, 2019
...and then they dropped perfect 100s for every album after becoming the best band in history.