Weezer - Van Weezer
May 7, 2021
Jared.

If you know me, you would know that Weezer is my favorite band of all time. I listen to them every single day and I never get tired of their music. I have been excited for this album ever since I first started listening to Weezer back in February. Mainly because the teasers to this album were all very solid. First, all the way back in 2019 we got “The End of the Game” which was a very nice throwback to the era of glam rock with it’s very explicit use of guitar heroism, while still keeping the tongue-in-cheek lyrics that we’ve come to expect from modern Weezer. With the following singles “Hero” and “I Need Some of That” the theme for this album was really set in stone. Weezer was paying tribute to their influences by putting their own twist on the old genre. And, to be honest? It works WAY better than you would think.

I don’t think there’s a single song off of this album that doesn’t put a creative spin on an existing style of song/genre.

All the Good Things starts off with a similar drumbeat and similar claps to their 2005 hit “Beverly Hills”, but god this song shouldn’t even be compared to that song. The melody is so much better, the lyrics don’t suck and the guitars sound so much better and crisper compared to anything off of Make Believe. There is actual passion and love put into this song and you can really feel it. It’s not just made to make money. Next album song is Beginning of the End, which there was an edited version of out already. But I didn’t really listen to it just so I could hear the album version first. And holy shit, was it worth it. GOD FUCKING DAMMIT. The guitar licks??? The incredibly infectious chorus? The lowkey moments that build into the incredibly infectious chorus????? This song is honestly INCREDIBLE. Everything about it works so well and is lowkey one of the best Weezer songs in a while.

Blue Dream is the one dud on the album. It’s not terrible but I don’t really like how it sounds (does that even make sense?). The guitars are super quiet during the chorus and verses and the only times they really come in are during the solo and the “Crazy Train” interpolations. Also the chorus is pretty weak. The lyrics are fairly creative, but if there isn’t a good song to back it up what’s the point? I might see myself returning to it sometime in the future though.

1 More Hit features some very infectious instrumentation very similar to Metallica. The purely instrumental part in the middle of the song is so fucking cool, you wouldn’t think you were listening to Weezer. Really love the singing on this but… okay. Let’s talk about that one line. “Pump it up into me. Please daddy, please daddy” What the fuck rivers why would you fuckijijjng WRITE THIS YOU MIDDLE-AGED MAN. (iloveyouriversdaddydonthatemepls)

Sheila Can Do It does not stand out that much to me, but is still an incredibly enjoyable tune. Some of the delivery on the singing parts are kind of cringey, which is the most standout negative on the song. The best part of the song is definitely the chorus though, god damn. I know I should technically love this song, since it was written during the Pinkerton era. But I just don’t feel it as much as the other tracks right now, maybe it’s a grower. Next up, She Needs Me. This song is so incredibly energetic in the perfect way. I love the subtle cowbells included in the drums and the solo is killer. And the way Rivers shifts up the vocals during that one part in the middle, “DON’T MESS WITH MY GIiIiIIRLLL”. GOD ITS SO GOOD.

Precious Metal Girl is the acoustic finisher that tidies up the album. These are honestly my favorite lyrics on the album. They mix sentimentality with some of the quirkiness that Weezer is known for, all being delivered by Rivers’ heartfelt delivery. It’s a very nice way to close the album after having several rock songs after another and honestly in my top 5 favorite tracks from this LP.

So, yeah. I love this album. While I can sometimes come off as biased with my Weezer scores/reviews I always keep my critical intent through them (hence some of my more negative scores). However, something about their albums just clicked with me and this one is no exception to that fact. Weezer is my favorite band of all time and nothing will ever change that. I truly and wholeheartedly believe that their modern work is some of the most overhated music of all time. Will I be a virgin my whole life? Sure. But that’s a small price to pay for salvation by Weezer.

Favorite track: Beginning of the End