AOTY 2019
The Weeknd - Heartless
Nov 27, 2019 (updated Dec 1, 2019)
"I never need a bitch, I'm what a bitch need." I hate that I love this line. :(

Anyway, Heartless is a decent track providing an alternative R&B sound reminiscent of The Weeknd's previous work on Kiss Land and Trilogy. The song departs from some of the slower, gloomier traits of My Dear Melancholy, and Beauty Behind the Madness, and the elements of rock and synth-pop on Starboy.

Heartless instead uses a somewhat uptempo trap production with The Weeknd's epochal grimey and provocative lyricism. Ex: "I've been dodging death in the six-speed/Amphetamine got my stomach feeling sickly," "All this money and this pain got me heartless," "I've been runin' through the pussy need a dog pound," "Call me up, turn that pussy to a faucet," etc.

The Weeknd needs someone on his team to recognize his talents and abstract him from the mundaneness of his music. Well, mundane isn't quite the word, as his music typically isn't dull, it just never feels full-fledged.

Much like Tinashe (until the release of her latest project, which was great), Weeknd's music commonly scratches the surface of potentially great work. Still, he never quite capitalizes on his strengths, leaving his music feeling underbaked and as such, gives an underwhelming and dry presence to his work.

However, Weeknd's lyricism is flagrant enough to bypass the issues of his sound, at least sufficient to satisfy his fans. Most of which (me included 🙊) will illegitimately gobble up his ruthless words as if they were their own, attempting to be as heartless as The Weeknd projects himself to be.
Comments