Various Artists - NOW That's What I Call Music!, Vol. 74
Jul 13, 2020
I am no stranger when it comes to the Now That’s Music compilation series. I’ll admit this to you. When I was young, my bus driver (from when I was in elementary school) and my mom had a pretty good relationship, but then the bus driver reveals that she actually had every Now CD, and then she made copies for me. Fast forward to 2020, and apparently my aunt bought me the vinyl as an early birthday present. [FYI I already posted it to the vinyljerk subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/vinyljerk/comments/hn3lu5/just_got_this_from_amazon/ and it kinda blew up.]

My main question is this. Who is the person responsible for compiling these compilations? I know these Now albums are normally intended to showcase the latest hits (although they contradicted themselves by putting low charting music on the viral 69th volume from last year,) but I think the main issue with this compilation is the song choices. Like, why put Justin Bieber’s Yummy when you could’ve put The Box? Ah whatever, it’ll probably be on the 75th volume. But who cares. I’m really glad they put Maren Morris’s The Bones as the closer to the hits portion.
OFF-TOPIC: Oh wait. These are clean versions. I thought I stopped listening to clean mixes after the age of 14.

Another issue I have with the series is that they only compile 16 hits, and yet the other 6 songs toward the backend of the compilation is dedicated to exposing new artists. Doesn’t platforms like Spotify & Pandora recommend you stuff like this? I mean, their playlists that could introduce you to new music are eerily similar to what the Now series puts in, and that’s why I’m not going to rate those tracks. I’m only here for the hits.
I understand I might look like a biased asshole for not listening to those tracks, but I think it’s just a cash grab, as these tracks are only added to pad time in the tracklist.

But, I’m glad they didn’t put Roses or death bed on here. I’ll give it that.

In conclusion, I guess this compilation is best for having it play in the background. I think it’s relatively safe, although I do wish that they have better song choices in the future.

TRACKS RANKED [minus the “Now What’s Next” cash grab portion]

9. BOP - DaBaby - 5.666/10
10. Know Your Worth - Khalid & Disclosure - 5.666/10
11. My Oh My - Camila Cabello (feat. DaBaby) - 4.84875/10
12. hot girl bummer - blackbear - 4.125/10
13. South of the Border - Ed Sheeran (feat. Camila Cabello & Cardi B) - 3.625/10
14. Falling - Trevor Daniel - 3/10
15. Yummy - Justin Bieber - 2/10
16. Dance Monkey - Tones and I - 0.8333/10
Jul 13, 2020
The review we didn't know we needed
based