Jai Paul - Leak 04-13 (Bait Ones)
Jun 2, 2019 (updated Jun 6, 2019)
EDIT: Jesus Fucking christ people. I retract all of the original review. This is a perfect album (100/100).
My biggest problem was the 6 year gap between the leak and official release. Waiting 6 years does nothing to further your career, nothing to better the situation, and my first thought was "Hmm 6 years later and its released out of nowhere. He needs money." I get that there are personal issues that come into play, but I really dont care about that. If Jai Paul truly wanted to come back to music, it would have been in his best interest to do so very soon after the leak. But im not here to tell musicians how to do their job, im here to tell them if their music is good or not. And despite the best efforts from Jai Paul, I still don't think this album is very good.

I'm sure this was great in 2013, but now it sounds very dated. The grand synths and pew pew effects are a thing of the past as far as indie pop goes. There is absolutely no reason to take music that was compiled by a leaker, change nothing, and release it officially 6 years after the leak happened. That is cash grab behavior, void of any merit. This album does not sound good to me. Very boring very generic. His whispery singing is annoying after 4 tracks in a row.
Jun 2, 2019
i mean, he did change things tho. just look at the lengths of the leak and this, its like a minute difference but it isn't nothing. also dont be mean to jai :( hes a good boy
Jun 2, 2019
I know he changed things like uncleared samples, but nothing was actually changed. the songs are still essentially identical.
Jun 2, 2019
im not sure if he did change the samples actually. im pretty sure thats why like half of the songs aren't streamable but i could be wrong
Jun 2, 2019
I think he just released this compilation of unfinished material for the fuck of it and considering the whole context around it he probably just wants to forget about it and move on to something else considering how much it impacted his mental health and personal life in the years following its leak. I completely respect his decisions to do so & imo he deserves the $. All his effort essentially went down the drain years before—he deserves something for it, even if people may not like it.
Jun 3, 2019
Cash grab for the....project someone leaked against his consent? Come on.
Jun 3, 2019
I'm pretty sure it's more complex than that. Don't be so hard on him.
Jun 3, 2019
This project was stolen from Jai and released prematurely, that clearly had a terrible effect on him mentally. In my eyes he has the right to offically release the project whenever he wants to. I dont know what to even say about calling it a cash grab. He clearly worked hard on it and probably gained little (if any) funds from the leak so he absolutely has the right to make some of that money back now.
Jun 3, 2019
idk why im here again but comparing both versions i'm pretty sure this one is mixed and mastered a bit differently, imo for the better
Jun 3, 2019
Releasing a dated, unimproved collection of tracks 6 years after leaking is a cash grab. He did this to make sure he remains at least a little bit relevant within the indie community. Obviously he deserves all of the money, but there is no reason for releasing a leaked album except to make money from it. That was actually the least of my problems with this LP, as it is a reasonable cash grab that I understand.
Jun 3, 2019
"We have decided now to make the April 2013 leaked music readily available so that those who want to hear it can access it via platforms they’re used to. In order to do this we had to remove a bunch of samples that we were unable to clear, so what you hear won't be exactly what leaked in 2013 - but I know the original stuff is still floating about if you know where to look. Of course, it's completely surreal to me that this music will now exist officially in this form, unfinished, and even
Jun 3, 2019
sequenced by the people who leaked it! Much of the tracking and production work was there, but it’s a shame about the scratch vocals and the overall mix. This is also not all of the material from those early sessions so again it’s a shame not to be able to present something completed, in its entirety. It will always be a little painful for me to listen to myself, but I don’t want to deny people a chance to hear it, especially as it’s already knocking about."
hmm...
Jun 3, 2019
exception, in your first sentence you state 'He did this to make sure he remains at least a little bit relevant within the indie community.' Then the following sentence you claim ' there is no reason for releasing a leaked album except to make money from it.' Only one of those things can be true and you've just given another reason yourself. I think it's more about closure for him. If he can make some money from it too then why not? as he was robbed of it previously.
Jun 3, 2019
Those statements are not exclusive. You can think its about closure while XL wipes their asses with your streaming money.
Go Jordy.
Jun 3, 2019
I don't think the intention was to release a new product- just to legitimize the album as a whole. He delivered a new product in his two new tracks.
Jun 3, 2019
Mutually exclusive would be the term you're looking for exception and yes they are. I think even you know the situation is more complicated than a simple 'cash grab' though your commitment to this edgy ignoramus persona is probably what's stopping you from admitting that.
Jun 4, 2019
This cynicism is toXIC wowza
Jun 4, 2019
Okay bro. I know what I'm saying and stand by it, but do your thing.
Jun 4, 2019
I just don't understand how you think you can't drop an album in order to maintain relevancy and also have the intention of making money. Max2k's comment makes the most sense to me now. Thanks for trying tho.
Jun 4, 2019
"Bro had 6 years since the leak and didn't change a single thing. How about working on an actual debut, dipshit."

I can maybe understand your thoughts on his motivations for releasing the project (though I disagree with them), but can you truly not sympathize with someone going through something traumatic like this leak and having trouble making new music as a result, let alone actually putting more work into the partly finished tracks people have already heard?
Jun 4, 2019
Additionally, it would be maybe a little weird from him to drop a new project right next to this. Don't you think the 2 songs do hint at a debut? Don't you think that if he were to make a comeback to music, putting the leaked album out on Spotify so people can easily access it (he did work hard on all those tracks, after all) is step 1, and putting out a new album would follow shortly? In this regard I think your review feels premature.
Jun 4, 2019
Okay, you got me there. I agree with you. Its premature but i'll leave it up for now.
Jun 4, 2019
Outdated? Yes, but you loved mista thuga which was clearly outdated too and you even put it in 1 of your only 2 lists, INCLUDING a 100 score. Care to explain? (Might sound like im trying to attack you but im not trying to. Would gladly want to know why you think so based on both albums perspectives).
Jun 4, 2019
MTI doesn’t sound dated like this does.
Jun 5, 2019
YIKES. How is this cash grab behavior??? Literally released as pay-what-you-want on his website (well, + 1 cent). He's very clearly (and he even says so himself!) finally taking agency in what's been a horrible and traumatic experience. I completely disagree with you on the quality of the music, too, but that's a different conversation entirely (and you're entitled to that opinion). But what you're suggesting about his motives just isn't true!
Jun 5, 2019
cash grab? he’s hardly going to bring in major $$$ from streams of this.
Jun 6, 2019
Bitterblossom saves the day!
Jun 6, 2019
^^ unironically. i still think the album deserves a 35 but my reasoning in the review is very, very flawed.
Jun 6, 2019
" There is absolutely no reason to take music that was compiled by a leaker, change nothing, and release it officially 6 years after the leak happened. That is cash grab behavior, void of any merit."

I think leaking someone else's music is a bit more void of merit than releasing your own music officially under your own name
exception: *drops review*

*gets decent amount of likes*

*receives twice as many comments*

Also, because I like to whine about opinions that aren't really so important, HOW IS THIS STILL A 35???????????????
Jun 6, 2019
How ridiculous. This is Jai's music that was stolen from him so why shouldn't he make money off of it? As for not changing it, it's clear that he wants to move on from this. It's out there in this form already, and Jai wants to move onto new shit (see his new songs), so he has no obligation to revise his past material. If people are already listening to the leak then why not let them have it in full quality, on streaming services, and yes, with Jai making money off of his own fucking music??
Jun 6, 2019
To be fair, exception's review was dreadful in reasoning, but he's pretty much admitted that his explaining was poor. I'm not saying any of ya'll commenting after are wrong, but at this point save the energy
Jun 6, 2019
Yea I agree, the review was rushed and I wasn't thinking clearly but Y'all need to shut the fuck up. Please read everything before you make more dumbfuck comments about a detail I already admitted to changing my mind on. BitterBlossom changed my mind and I stated that, and then I get Ahhh Morgchrist Earcondom and TanMan leaving fucking brainless comments.
Jun 6, 2019
Bro, you said some dumbfuck shit and now you're lashing out defensively. Maybe think about how you're being needlessly negative and cynical.
Jun 6, 2019
Look ya'll, the reason why he's telling you to shut up is not because of your points, but because he's already acknowledged them before. Anyway, there's plenty of other reviews where I'm sure you can go against him too. I'm sure he's cool with people disagreeing, just not when he's already admitted he's wrong. It gets boring and repetitive.
Jun 6, 2019
I read the other comments before commenting myself, and nowhere did he admit it wasn't a cash grab (only that this could clear the way for a debut). Thought I would point out that it was released as pay-what-you-want which, regardless of Jai's true reasons for releasing the leak, completely invalidates the cash-grab speculation. There's no need to be so defensive and rude
Jun 6, 2019
'Jesus Fucking christ people. I retract all of the original review. This is a perfect album (100/100).', 'And despite the best efforts from Jai Paul, I still don't think this album is very good.', what?
Jun 6, 2019
Leave it at 100. The music is timeless and people have been clamoring for him to release it as it was so that it wasn’t buried underground and could actually be streamed. Now that it’s more accessible, I’ve been blasting it for the first time all day on Apple Music. He did this for a reason; he wanted to build excitement for the debut he teased with the new tracks.
Jun 6, 2019
i left my comment before you changed your mind. that being said, i retract all of my original comment. that was a fucking brainless comment (-100/100)
Jun 7, 2019
exception I come here to make peace as thisbhas gotten out of hand and is becoming a bigger scandal than the leak lol
Jun 7, 2019
Jordy dont worry youre one of the good ones here
Jun 7, 2019
thanks man, I dont like arguing with people on this site. we're cool
Jun 8, 2019
Florida man lights community "ablaze", bystanders say.
Jun 10, 2019